Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
beeeerock
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook (sadly)
My Carrier: Rogers

What data plan is really necessary?

I found this page:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/business/server/express/ComparisonChart_NA_012110.pdf

When I read it carefully, it suggests to me that BESx can provide BES integration to phones running any Blackberry data plan.  On the other hand, it also states that the full BES server (not express) requires phones to be on a BES data plan.  I'm looking at the 'Price to Get Started' row.

So what does this mean?  Can I have email pushed to my phone, calendar sync, etc (all the stuff that that I didn't have before BESx was installed!) using BESx and Exchange with a BIS data plan?

My carrier caused me to change from a sweet BIS plan to a more expensive and significanly smaller BES plan in order to use BESx.  Things are working, but I'd like to know if this was actually necessary!  Their support people don't seem to have a clear answer and just read off their standard response sheets... they don't seem to understand the question!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: What data plan is really necessary?

BES Express 5 does supports push email, calendar, notes etc with a BIS plan on most carriers. There are a few that dont support it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
beeeerock

Interesting... my interpretation of the feature summary sheet is evidently pretty close then!

Are there any features in BES Express that would require a BES data account?  Or does it just come down to whether the carrier supports it?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there are a few limits, like no OTA activation but there are a few work arounds now.

Over The Air Enterprise Activation for Bes Express 5 with BIS

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/Activating-Devices-That-are-...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
beeeerock

It sounds to me like the BES plan is not necessary unless you want to be able to administer the phones remotely... which isn't something the Express version supports anyway.  I will have to get on my provider about why they made me switch - it's something you'd expect they'd know about.

Just to confirm... If I switch back to BIS, I won't lose my push email, calendar, contacts, ability to see the Intranet and files?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

beeeerock wrote:

It sounds to me like the BES plan is not necessary unless you want to be able to administer the phones remotely... which isn't something the Express version supports anyway.  I will have to get on my provider about why they made me switch - it's something you'd expect they'd know about.

Just to confirm... If I switch back to BIS, I won't lose my push email, calendar, contacts, ability to see the Intranet and files?

You should not have an issue.

Please use plain text.