Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ingvargo
My Device: bes express

upgrade bes express 5 to sp3 problem

Hi

i am helping one of my customers to upgrade his Blackberry express server from sp2 to sp3, when we run the exe and come to the place when we input the password for remote database the install throws an error which tells us that the sql server has an existing database with the name BESMgmt, and then tells us to chose another name to install new Blackberry domain, the problem is that we are trying to upgrade the existing server so it is expected to have this database and the sp3 install is not behaving like we want it to do.

i know that some sp3 files which belong to the non express server can trigger this but we have double checked that the sp3 file we have is the right one:  BESX_Express_5.0.3.exe

the error is : the setup application detected an existing database with name BESMgmt. To create new Blackberry domain, you must choose a database name that does not already exist on your database management server.

the server is now 5.0.2 ( Bundle 14 )

BR

Ingvar

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: upgrade bes express 5 to sp3 problem

Download and install MS SQL Server Management Studio Express

then after install see if there is more than one database on the SQL server.

also make sure his BES is express and not Full BES. easy way to check is how many CALs are in it. Express has 2000 free ones. Full BES will have less than that.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
ingvargo

thank you for quick reply

thera are more databases on this remote sql server, it is SQL 2005 and is used by many other applications.

if i remember right the add/remove shows me Blackberry enterprise express, i am not at the server now but i could have it checked.

BR

Ingvar

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

possible they had an old BES and never removed the database

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
ingvargo

it has been double checked that the SQL server has only one database with this name and this is the free edition, there have never been older installs in this enviroment so this is rather strange.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

maybe you have the full installer and not the upgrader

Try this one at top

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/Current-patch-level-of-BES-E...

New Contributor
ingvargo

thanks

the file i used to upgrade has this name "BESX_express_5.0.3.exe" and size, are there two versions with the same name ?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

is it possible the BES has a local copy of a database that it is seeeing before looking at the remote SQL one?

New Contributor
ingvargo

it has been checked and there are no databases of any kind local on the Blackberry server.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

if thats true then you have an odd issue

maybe time for a call

https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/

All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!

The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.