Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
JonathanL
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Videotron
Accepted Solution

2 Questions about the necessity of up-to-date device.xml and vendor.xml...

Good day,

Recent events led me to do some reading about "device.xml" and "vendor.xml". Also realizing we're not up to date on those files on any of our BES servers. Although I can find MANY posts and KBs about how to update them, none are very specific as of "why !?".

What do they do ?

More precisely :

I have an old 4.1.7 server that should be replaced by a 5.0.X very soon, but not just yet. OS6 has begun to appear on the handheld... and those can't get an Enterprise Activation on this server. Which isn't a big deal for now : we're just asking users not to update to OS6 until we switch to BES 5.0.X. On the server,  I see the account activating itself,  but the IT Policy can't be installed.  Then I did some reading, and some KBs suggest that updating the Device.xml and Vendor.xml will solve this problem... My question : why !?   (I'm curious !)

Also : I have 5.0.2 servers. Since I just recently learned about those 2 files... It is clearly stated that 5.0.X should update them automatically... I wanted to see with my own eyes. No, they aren't updated.  I KNNOW WHY... Fixing it isn't the issue. (blocked by NTLM...) I'm just wondering if it's actually worth it to fix this or should I just.... Forget about it... ?

Basically..... What are those 2 files ? What will they do for us if we're mainly using the BES to link the personal mailfiles(hosted on Lotus Domino). Is it really relevant to keep them up-to-date ?  Am I wasting my time atm ?!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: 2 Questions about the necessity of up-to-date device.xml and vendor.xml...

those two files tell BES about the device types and their carriers, on older BES 4.x you cant activate newer devices with out updating it.

New BES will work most of the time but same issue is present.

If you push apps, they wont work if BES has no clue on type or carrier.

Best to keep them up to date.

KB13589 - How to update the device.xml and vendor.xml files

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.