Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
megangrubb
My Device: 9810

ActiveSync and BES10

Just looking for some clarification on this and some real world experience.

From what I read online and in this forum is BES10 only uses ActiveSync with BB10 devices for email and CalDAV, and the BES10 is used for policy management.  BES10 will act as a proxy for EAS so you do not need to expose EAS to the internet.

Some questions:

1 - Anyone running a BB10 without BES10 and ONLY Exchange Active Sync?  Any Calendar, contact, etc. issues?  Can you do GAL lookups or do I need BES10 for this?

2 - If the answer to Q1 is YES, can you run this with only a BIS package from your carrier?  My carrier loves to insist that I need a BES package for my users\devices on BES Express, and I'm exhausted with telling them they are misinformed.  I'm concerned that they won't have the correct answer if I ask.

We're a small business so we would need to upgrade to a BB10 device or buy one outright before I can even start to test and see if it works, which is a bit difficult to swallow.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: ActiveSync and BES10

GAL lookups will require BDS I believe. 

If you have data on your phone you should be able to manually configure an ActiveySync profile however.  Assuming you're on Exchange 2010 you will get email, calendar, task and notes sync'd over to the device. 

CalDAV is a different protocol than ActiveSync. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

GAL Lookup is also a feature of ActiveSync, so should work without BDS (but did not try, also depends on your Exchange Version (or whatever Mailsystem you use)).

Which dataplan you need is a question the provider has to answer. From BlackBerry perspective you do not need one, but what the provider implement is another story. So try it out with Internet dataplan, if it is not working you need a BlackBerry dataplan.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
kotji
My Device: Os7.1
My Carrier: Dtac Thailand

Success!
Success! without BDS
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tcotant
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having issues with GAL. Lookup doesn't work at all for me using only ActiveSync and the latest Exchange server. Did you have to enable sync contacts? I didn't want to push my phone's contacts back to Exchange/Outlook, so I left that off.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.