Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
dq72
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Address Book (BlackBerry) Contacts (outlook 2010) synchronization failure

[ Edited ]

BES 5.0.2

Exchange 2003 & 2010

Outlook 2007 & 2010

Not sure when this started, but it was just reported by a user (07 outlook client - MB 2003 exchange), and I found the same issue on my BlackBerry.  (2010 client  - MB 2010 exchange).

Contacts created either within the BlackBerry address book, or under contacts in outlook don't synch with eachother.

It was working previously.

Update Nov 3 - Under Address Book\Menu\Desktop (wireless synch = not available)

I'm trying a delete\undelete of the sync service book to see if that helps.

Update Nov 4 - The delete\undelete of the sync service book re-enabled the wireless synch option and contact synch did complete between outlook and the device. 

However approximately 6 that were created on my BB went to my 'suggested contacts' in outlook, and 'BlackBerry Orphaned contacts' was created in outlook and listed 2 contacts that were present both on the BlackBerry Address book as well as correctly synchronized with my outlook contacts.

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Address Book (BlackBerry) Contacts (outlook 2010) synchronization failure

Start with this.

KB10953 - Contacts do not synchronize between BlackBerry smartphones and Microsoft Outlook

Also this works well too
In outlook Make a new folder for contacts called backup

move all contacts to the folder and wait for all to be removed from device

then pull battery on device and put back in

After device boots move contacts from backup to the contacts folder and wait for them all to appear

Make a new contact in outlook and see if it gets to the device.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dq72

The following resolved the issue on both BB's that we were having issues with.

Goto -   Address Book\(menu) options\   and type rset

Accept prompt to delete on handheld.

Server pushed down the contacts and synchronization continued correctly.

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Please use plain text.
Visitor
rosiej
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Same problem, sync used to work fine for contacts in Outlook and ones added on BBRY Storm - w/last update, lost the ability to sync contacts w/Outlook. When I try this solution: Options - Advanced Options - Service Book - ok until I get there; then NO Desktop (SYNC) --- so what do I do now...

THANKS!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dq72

If you have an account on the BES server this service should be there.

You could try re-sending the service books from BAS and this one should be replaced.

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skyraider109
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Contacts added on BB Device not syncing into MS Outlook. .  When I sync my ATT Torch 9800 with DM 6 with USB, not all my contacts are going into Outlook.  It was working fine a few weeks ago, now any new contact I enter on my BB device, does not appear in my Outlook Contacts.  Calendar, Notes, etc all sync fine.  I am running MS Outlook 2007 on Windows XP Pro.  DM is the latest revision of 6.0.0.246.   I do not get any error or conflict messages.  It just show that everything synced…but the contacts are not.   I have 1 hotmail and 1 gmail account set up on my BB and both accounts are run through Outlook on my desktop.     Any help would be most appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
david_vincent
My Device: Blackberry 9800 (Torch)
My Carrier: Telus

i had this same issue and the resolution was the "private contact folders" didn't have anything enabled. for some reason each of the affected users had a "blackberry orphaned contacts" folder which seemed to bump contacts folder out of being selected as default. i had do the following:

1. manage users
2. select specific user
3. under "messaging configuration" choose "default configuration"
4. select the email tab
5. select edit user
6. scroll to the bottom and look at the "private contact folders" section as well as the "default contact folder".
7. if nothing is checked, and the default contact folder is blank than this is your issue. check a folder and then the default contact folder.
8. save changes to the user.
9. complete a service book push to the user.

Regards,

Dave

Please use plain text.
alfonsovilar
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: TMobile

I'm having a similar issue.  But this happened during a migration from one server to another.  Same versions of BES.  Didn't matter the handheld OS.  We have some users on OS 5, 6 and 7.  It seems like the OS 7 phones had the biggest issues.  We sync 2 contact lists.  The users personal contact list from outlook. and a public contact list from a public folder in outlook.  Everything was working fine until we moved the users.  Now some of the users have phones that won't sync at all.  Some people have orphaned contact lists in outlook and an odd number of contacts on the phones.  Other people just have duplicates.  Primarily the older phones only have duplicates but they operate normally.  The OS 6 and OS 7 phones are crashing like crazy and freezing.  The only way I can stop them from freezing is to disable the wireless contact syncing from BES and to clear the contact list on the phone by using the RSET command.  The contacts were then replaced from desktop manager using the USB cable synch.

The biggest issue I saw during this troubleshooting and maybe it might help someone with another issue is the following:

1. I would take a user and disable the wireless syncing of contacts from bes.

2. I would wait for the phone to reflect that the wireless syncing of contacts was disabled.

3. I would run the rset command on the phone to clear out the contacts.

4. From BES i would then go and make sure that the user only had their personal contact list enabled

5. I would enable wireless contact syncing for the user again.

6. The phone would start to sync contacts again but...

It would start to pull entries from the contact list that was no longer selected to sync from on the server.  So it looks like the original sync requests are cached somewhere and perhaps that's what causes issue for other people.  Maybe there is a way to cancel all pending transactions for a particular user? There might be transactions held in cache and perhaps the server won't move on until those process?

Please use plain text.
dhsmith1
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T Mobile

I talked with Blackberry. They said there will not be developing a fix for the sync with Outlook 2010. They implied they were going to focus resources forward on the Q10 product not on this problem that doesn't affect that many. Man is that discouraging. I am not going to spring for $600 for the Q10 when the 9900 is a very good phone but syncing is a major issue. Any suggestions from anyone on what phone I should go to I am a Blackberry Phone fan but it looks like BB is a scaring company to invest in their latest phone when they are walking away for this issue.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

dhsmith1 wrote:
I talked with Blackberry. They said there will not be developing a fix for the sync with Outlook 2010. They implied they were going to focus resources forward on the Q10 product not on this problem that doesn't affect that many. Man is that discouraging. I am not going to spring for $600 for the Q10 when the 9900 is a very good phone but syncing is a major issue. Any suggestions from anyone on what phone I should go to I am a Blackberry Phone fan but it looks like BB is a scaring company to invest in their latest phone when they are walking away for this issue.

what version BES are you on and what mail server?

have you tried any of the above fixes?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.