Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
chris-tt
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Optus
Accepted Solution

Administration Web interface will not run - only 27MB RAM used

I'm having an issue with my BlackBerry Express server. It was working fine and only recently the Web Administration stopped working. The rest of the services still appear to be functioning correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to lean toward windows updates causing the problem.

NOTE: Restarting the server will make the web administration interface work but only for a short while, then it stops again

• Windows Server Standard 2008 FE

• SQL 2005

• BlackBerry Express v5 SP2 (information taken from readme.txt)

BAS-AS.exe is only using 27MB of RAM. (This should be around the 500MB mark if the Administration Service was running correctly.)

-----------------------------------

Log report: C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BAS\jboss\ejb\bin\BAS-AS_err.log

Could not obtain a connection to the database. Will keep trying for another 49881ms

Could not obtain a connection to the database. Will keep trying for another 34881ms

Could not obtain a connection to the database. Will keep trying for another 19879ms

Could not obtain a connection to the database. Will keep trying for another 4878ms

Error encountered while starting server: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the named instance has failed. Error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out. java.lang.RuntimeException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the named instance has failed. Error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out. at com.rim.bes.bas.system.DirectDatabaseAccessor.getConnection(DirectDatabaseAccessor.java:107) at com.rim.bes.bas.system.TransportProtocolConfigurator.configureTransportProtocols(TransportProtocolConfigurator.java:193) at com.rim.bes.bas.system.BASMain.initialize(BASMain.java:1354) at com.rim.bes.bas.system.BASMain.main(BASMain.java:1065) Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the named instance has failed. Error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out. at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(Unknown Source) at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.getInstancePort(Unknown Source) at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(Unknown Source) at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at com.rim.bes.bas.system.DirectDatabaseAccessor.getConnection(DirectDatabaseAccessor.java:78) ... 3 more -----------------------------------

Troubleshooting

1. Restarting the server will make the web interface work but only for a short while, then it stops again.

2. Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-AS\Parameters change JVM Option Count from 11 to 15

a. Restarted BAS-AS, BAS-NCC and BB BDS Connection service. 3. The service: SQL Server browser is ‘Started’. Tried restarting

4. Netstat –a –n | find “:3443” doesn’t return any results meaning tomcat is not running.

a. BlackBerry server configurator confirms it should be on 3443

5. HKEY_Current_User\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Administration Service\Key Store\CacertsKeyStorePass doesn’t exist.

a. Only up to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\ exists

6. Test SQL Server Connection button on BlackBerry server configurator is successful

7. Checked: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-AS\Parameters\JVM Option Number 3

a. It wasn’t -Xmx1024m it is: -Xmx768m

8. It is not a DNS issue. E.g. IP address doesn’t work either

9. Both below registry entries point to the current JRE file/folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_18\bin\client\) a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-AS\Parameters\JVM Library

b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-NCC\Parameters\JVM Library

10. Named Pipes and TCP/IP are both Enabled under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Administration Web interface will not run - only 27MB RAM used

I would just install SP3 as it contain many fixes for BAS and wil work on some updates that affect it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris-tt
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Optus

I was trying to find a fix that would allow me to avoid the late night...
Thanks mate. Running smoothly for >48 hours
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Glad to hear you are doing better

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
jasevans
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: Verizon

Hi, I am not sure of the solution provided could you please clarify?

Was it to install XP SP3?

James

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

more like BES SP3 and now SP4 is out

Please use plain text.