Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Apps on device after activating to BES

I was not sure how to label the title to this thread, but here is my question. I am currently setting up my first BES for a client of mine. We have added about 5 users without any major issues. However, these users are officers and do not have any restrictions.

The next group I will be adding will have a few restrictions through policy. They currently have some apps installed and one of the restrictions of the new policy is no access to AppWorld, Application Center, or installing 3rd party apps. Once they are added to the BES, will those currently installed apps be removed or will they just not be able to add any from that point on.
We are using BES 5.0 in an Exchange enviroment.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Re: Apps on device after activating to BES

Hi,

There are IT policies for both:

Application Centre Policy Group - All

Enable WAP Config IT policy rule

A lot in Security Policy

- Allow External Connections - disabled existing installed apps from accessing the net.

Allow thrid party apps to use serial port

Disallow third party applications download - does NOT remove existing applications

You may also want to lookat the Service Exclusivity Policy Group (i.e. Allow other browser)

You can find the entire list of BES 5.0 IT policies here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/es-es/admin/deliverables/7228/Policy_Reference_Guide.pdf

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply...

Currently I have disabled AppWorld, Disallow Third Party Application Downloads set to YES, and I have blocked Application Center.

They are allowed to have a few apps such as Google maps, weather apps, and poynt. I know Google maps has a installation package for BES (but I have not implimented or tried out BES app push yet)

I was hoping for now if they had them installed they would stay there, but be unable to d/l or install any new ones.

New Contributor

here is the issue  I am having now. For one group/policy I have dissalowed IBS (under browser), APlication center, mms, sms, dissallowed browser (under global) , dissallow 3rd party app downloads, AppWorld, most IMs.

Before we applied these policy we installed the weather.com app and the weather bug app. Of course they worked fine and the "dissallow 3rd party" did not affect them. NOw the phones are on the BES with this policy and the weather apps are unable to update/work. I am assuming that their connection to the internet is being blocked by one of the browser restrictions.

I am trying to find out the easiest way to allow these 2 apps to work from the phone while still having the restrictions I listed in place.