Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

BES 10.1.1 Policies applied to which kind of EMM license

Hi together,

a question regarding policies in BDS.

There are different kind of areas in a policy.

EMM - Corporate (BlackBerry Balance)
EMM - Corporate
EMM - Regulated (Work space only)

I have activated some new devices with trade up licenses from BES5. EMM Corporate for Blackberry was the name 1 month ago, in the meantime the name is EMM Corporate and belongs to BB as well as for iOS and Androis devices.

If i set someting in policies unter Work space Only lets say in general, Roaming .... does this setting apply to my Balance activated device or not? In fact it is only for the work area ... and not the private one.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: BES 10.1.1 Policies applied to which kind of EMM license

Hello Huby,

Thank you for your question regarding BES 10.1.1 and IT Policies. 

Any of the IT Policies will apply as follows:

If the header says:

Rules for all devices - this means for all devices activates, whether it is Balance or Work Space Only

Devices with EMM - Regulated (Work space only) - This means for only device with Work Space Only EMM Regulation, aka Corp. Liable

Devices with EMM - Corporate (BlackBerry Balance) - Only devices with BlackBerry Balance 

As an example the Roaming one you are talking about is under Devices with EMM - Regulated (Work space only)  so it will only work if the device is in Work Space only mode (Corp. Liable)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Carrier: O2

thanks a lot. I have suspected this answer.

If you remove the policy setting für work space only devices, the number of settings are dramatically truncated in relation to BES 5. This is independent to the email settings eg. Traveler because the policies are not transferred over active sync (SyncML) which might cause the reduction of the number of settings. I am missing some settings like HomePage or Roaming or locking after leaving the work area and not within 1 .... 30 minutes for Balance devices. They take the major of activated devices ... i think. If a customer has a heavy need of security or some other settings, you cannot set it. The difference between Traveler default settings and the possibilities in BB policy are only a little more. And i think that -almost- settings for Work space only devices should also belong to Balance devices to manage the work area.

Hopefully waiting for 10.1.2

Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

The whole "userspace" separation is so senseless since this is still a business contract which stands beyond the device.

Only for example, a function like "block data roaming for user space" is a basic feature which has to be implemented. The dataroaming costs up to 13€/MB and no company wants to pay for private mail syncing, apps or browsing in foreign countries.

I don't really like the new IT low-level policies which were so revolutionary presented by Blackberry. As an IT admin it is my job to work 500 IT-policies through, in every Windows environment I've to manage dozens of user access groups, too. So these few policies are definitely not a feature, rather a bunch of missing functions which are essentially for business use.

Contributor
My Carrier: VIP srbija

Good point Tarracta. I agree. 

Does it mean that we need to implement only Regulated licences if we want full controll

I am confused... 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

nenadmlinar wrote:

Good point Tarracta. I agree. 

Does it mean that we need to implement only Regulated licences if we want full controll

I am confused... 

BlackBerry Balance was made for BYOD in which you do not control the personal space which includes all aspects of data usage.

The regulated one will allow more control and requires a different data plan and user CAL

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Txnks for reply. 

Who will bring it own device, (mobile phone) to use as buissines, corporate phone ?? Especially in this era of smartphones. I've never heard of that and personaly I think that is not good 

I like Blackberry (BES 5, OS 4,5,6,7) just because of strictly corporate and security. If we are talking about BYOD, then security is off. (My opinion) Consider corporations with strict security, Bank, govermant etc.

Blackberry has lost battle in "personal space" form android and iPhones but stil have not lost in "workspace" and my opinion is that they should stik to it.

To get back on topic.

knottyrope: you said that "The regulated one will allow more control and requires a different data plan and user CAL"

I just yesterday tested BES with this and selected EMM regulated instead of  EMM corporate (Blackberry Balance) and get an error: "You are currently on service data plan that does not support connecting to balckberry Enterprise service. If you want to use this enterprise service, please contact youre service provider to upgrade your data plan."

My service provider confirmed mi that I have BES service activated. That is all they said to me. 

I have "traded up" licences form BES 5. (EMM Corporate for Blackberry). 

Is there something special that I need to ask from my service provider (mobile carrier).

Does it mean that I cannot use this "traded up"liceces for regulated plan.

Thnkx againg,

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook + Z10 + Z30

To use the regulated mode you need 2 things:

- a EMM Regulated CAL for each device. I don´t know if you can upgrade a EMM Corporate CAL to EMM Regulated CAL or if you havce to purchase EMM Regulated CAL.

- a special Data plan from your carrier to use the BES10 Regulated mode. It´s something like the BES data plan for BES5 that was needed to use the BES infrastructure by using a special APN in the provider network instead of the BIS that was reachable over the standard APN. Not all carriers have these regulated BES10 Data plans as far as i know.

Contributor

Thanks a lot for explanation. 

I am waiting for answer from my carrier.