Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

BES 10.1 BB Management Studio AD Default?

OK, so here's one I've run into that's a bit annoying.

After installing BES 10.1, when I go to login to the BlackBerry Management Studio, is there any way to have the login screen default to using Microsoft Active Directory authentication as the default in the "Log in Using" drop down menu as opposed to Direct Authentication?

I've set things up to access our AD domain, and I can login using my AD credentials in all management consoles, but with Management Studio it won't remember the setting and always defaults to Direct Authentication. This is annoying because we have several techs who access the admin console to manage users and they're constantly fogetting to select AD authentication before they attempt to login.

I should note that in our BES 10.0 environment (which is seperate), the Management Studio page defaults to using AD authentication, so this seems to be a BES 10.1 thing.

Anyone have any idea how to make AD Authentication be the default? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: BES 10.1 BB Management Studio AD Default?

Hello swotam,

Thank you for your question regarding the BlackBerry Management Studio and choosing Default AD logins.

I am performing some research at the moment to see if there is a way we can switch this for you. I will provide an update once I have something ready.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jacobl
My Device: BES 5.x

Hi swotam,

If you've configured AD authentication for BMS you shouldn't even see the login screen with the "Log in using" dropdown - assuming your domain account is authorised to access BMS your initial page should be the dashboard view when browsing to the BMS URL.

Or are you talking about when you manually log out of it from the link at the top of the page?

Regards,

Jacob

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marissa32
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Great question! 

We don't have Single Sign-On enabled, so we get the authentication page when navigating to all BlackBerry consoles.  We are interested in whatever way might exist to set the default for the Mangement Studio login.

T

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

@jacobl I'm not using Single Sign-On so the authentication page is displayed at login, however the page won't "remember" the drop down setting and always defaults to Direct Authentication.

BES10.0 did not have this problem, it would remember your selection.
----------
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

@LoneWolf902 Thanks, I appreciate you looking into this. As mentioned in my initial post, this was not an issue with BES 10.0, so it seems something may have been overlooked in 10.1?

It's also an issue in 10.1.1
----------
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
8dmin1272

Hi,

I just want to let you know that I'm facing the same problem. In my case it's even more difficult as we are using SSO throught the BB consoles and due to the fact that the authentication method for the Management Studie defaults to direct authentication I'm missing the UDS integration.

Prior to the Single Sign-On I was able to logon with "direct authentication" and with "Active Directory authentiation".

With "direct authentication" I only see the Blackberry devices in the dash-board and I under the "Services" tab I can only see the "Blackberry Device Services"

With "Active Directory authentication" I was able to see both (Blackberry and Universal Device Service) devices in the dashboard and also the "Services" tab expands to Blackberry and UDS.

With SSO this option is not available anymore. Therefore I assume it's related to the same "bug" as mentioned above.

I would be very interested in a fix and/or setting to change this.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Wolfgang

P.S.: BES Version: 10.1.1.20

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam

I opened a ticket with BlackBerry support, and the answer I got back was

"At this time there is no supported way to force BES 10.1.1 to recognize your preference or set a default. I recommend emailing ideamailbox@blackberry.com with your comments about this change."

That doesn't sound like much of a solution to me, it sounds more like a waste of time.

----------
Please use plain text.