Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
aacajo
My Device: Blackberry 9800
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

BES 10 - 10.1 Upgrade Licensing

Upgrading out BES 10.0 to 10.1 and am wondering if I need to upgrade the licenses prior to upgrading the server, or after?  Will my BDS devices continue to function if I complete the upgrade and do not upgrade the licenses right away?

I want to ensure I have the ability to revert snapshot, and restore the DB if something goes wrong.  Though I understand if I upgrade my licenses that may not be possible.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 10 - 10.1 Upgrade Licensing

CALs are assigned to your SRP now so i am not sure a snapshot will save you.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aacajo

I have not done the license transfer yet.  I'm wondering if I need to upgrade licenses before or after the upgrade?  Will the BDS server continue to run even without upgraded CALs, after the software upgrade?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/53636/BES10_v10.1.1_Upgrade_Guide_en.pdf

maybe the upgrade guide will help you

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aacajo

I figured it out.  The server continues to function after upgrading to 10.1, you just cannot activate "new" devices until you trade up the licensing.  So for anyone wanting to know, snapshotting to revert (as well as backup the DB) is a good method as long as you follow the documentation and not trade-up the license until after the upgrade.  Your users won't experience any downtime after the upgrade is complete.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

thanks for reply and your solution

Please use plain text.