Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

BES 10 (BDS 6.2) What you need, and rumors defunct.

Hi everyone,

I had a hard time gathering the right information when I was ready to deploy BES10 in my work environment.

I wanted to write a post, that I wish I had access to from the get-go.

Note:  Before BES10, we had a HA 5.04 environment.   So when we talk about installation requirements, I already had a provisioned BESAdmin account to work with.

Rumors / Missinformation / Requirement Clarification

BES10 is NOT an upgrade of your current environment.   You'll require BOTH your BES 5.04, and BES10, to support the both old and new devices.

BDS 6.2 (BES 10) Will have a SEPERATE SQL database.   The existing and new, do not intergrate, and can be stored on different SQL servers.

Microsoft ActiveSync is required to be published externally, to support BES10 Devices.   (It is likely your organization already has this available to you, if you have Outlook Web Access, or currently support iOS or Android devices with Exchange.)

Here's some notes that will help you have a working environment.

1.) Create another VM / Server for the install.

2.) SIGN UP FOR THE BES10 TRIAL  <--- This is the only way to recieve the SRP information your server will need.) The SRP ID and Code will not expire with the trial, only the user CAL's will.  (See the 1 for 1 free upgrade offer)

Download the Bes installer, and keep / Print the license information given to you after signing up for the trail.

3.) Log into the server, as the provisioned BESAdmin account, for the install.

4.) Set local security policy for BESAdmin.  (Logon Locally, Logon as a service etc.  See the installation documentation.)  (Documentation is not easy to find btw).

5.)The Database must be installed on a Server 2008R2 Sql instance for it to work properlly.  

(There is current errors that may not let you "connect" to the database, the installer just created)  This is a bug.  I resolved it by launching the installer (as admin).

After the database woe's the rest of the installer went fairly well, just up to the ending.

6.)  If the one service fails to start. (And you're installer will hang there waiting.)  It is due to a missing LOGGING registry key.    The BlackBerry KB simply suggests to re-install, and this did work for me.  I'd rather just have the information to add in the registry, to save me all that time.

I hope this will help clear some things up.  

Once you are running!

Define a Email Policy.  It is as simple as setting the "active sync address (ie: owa.company.com)

I did not need to add the "/ActiveSync."

Doing this, and applying to the new users,  will make "Activation" much like the old bes, without them requiring any other information.

If activation Fails.  From the device go (Advanced) and put your server SRP number,  as the target server to connect to with the entered email address.

So far we have been fine for the week.  Also note, BES10 does not need to be online, for current devices to continue to recieve emails.  (All done through active sync).

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BES 10 (BDS 6.2) What you need, and rumors defunct.

Activesync does not need to be open to externally for this to work. The device can route through the Blackberry Infrastructure via the Blackberry Dispatcher on the BDS server.
Source: (Page 15)
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/49294/BlackBerry_Device_Service_6.2_Security_Techni...
New Contributor
My Device: q10
My Carrier: Rogers

I believe a console change in the BES 10.1 requires an email profile to be set up as opposed an email policy.

I have been trying with a q10 but its not completing the activation.  However by wifi only playbook activates without issues. Has anyone been successful activating a Q10?

New Contributor
My Device: Various

Thanks for posting this!  I am about to try to install BES 10 on my BES 5 serve rnow that the 10.1 installer is out and I was getting frustrated with the lack of information regarding the SRP ID and auth code given all the other volumes of information out there about getting everyone ready for BES 10...still can't believe there is no official message regarding the SRP....anyway thanks for the info that was the only piece that was missing for me to continue....