Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
bammer
My Device: Z10

BES 10 Enterprise Admins... A ? about how to handle device OS updates

DefaultBES 10 Enterprise Admins... A ? about how to handle device OS updates
I'm a fairly new BB administrator responsible for approx. 400 Z10s in an enterprise environment. Just a little info on our current setup: BES 10.1.1, ActiveSync, BB Balance, Verizon Z10s. Most everything has been running well with one exception as of late... users are now being prompted for device OS update (10.2.1.537) which seems to be causing issues.  On BES I have the setting for "Wireless Software Updates" to disallow hoping this would prevent users from updating themselves which it is not doing. Users not being patient enough interrupting update process, starting update on low battery power, etc. causing frozen BBs or in some cases bricked phones. Our users do not have access to corporate Wi-Fi or Blackberry Link on their assigned computers so options are limited. Understanding BES 10 cannot, as of yet, push out device OS updates how do you handle these updates on an enterprise level? So far all I've come up with is having users hand in their Z10s to IT so that we can update properly but honestly that's a huge headache for both IT staff and end-users. I appreciate your suggestions and opinions. Brian
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 10 Enterprise Admins... A ? about how to handle device OS updates

With Balance you can not control the OS version of device, with Workspace only or Regulated Balance you can.

Snip from BAS

Specify whether a BlackBerry device can download BlackBerry Device Software More... updates over the wireless network. If you set this rule to Allow all, the device can download all software updates that BlackBerry or a wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Allow security updates only, the device can download only security-related software updates that BlackBerry or the wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Disallow, the device cannot download any software updates over the wireless network.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of "Allow all (default)" will be used.

This rule applies to a feature that requires BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 or later.

This rule applies only to BlackBerry devices with version 10.1.0 and later

Might be good to get updated to BES 10.2 and apply MR1 as well

The OS update on the phone tells users to make sure their battery is charged and to keep it plugged in during the update. You cant force them to do that or even read it for that matter.

Once people are able to get the OS, I send out a email on how to do it but again not everyone will read it.

If you own the phones and want more control, might be good to get Regulated plans for them.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bammer
My Device: Z10

Knotty,

Thank you for your reply.

When you metion "Regulated Balance" and  "Regulated plans" on the phones are they one in the same?

I am not familar with this feature/option... I assume I'd have to contact my provider for assistance on this?

AFA handling the actual device OS updates I agree it's hard to force users to read and follow instructions all the time but putting together some documentation is almost always a good idea.

Thanks again,

Brian

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the normal CALs are Balance

you can get Regulated balance or Work Space Only which can control the device even more and requires a special dataplan

and needs different BES 10 CALs as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.