Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
GDkitty
My Device: Blackberry 8330

BES 10 and Lotus Domino/Notes

We are currently running BES 5, conntected to a Lotus Domino server for our email.

I understand that BES10 wont work with the older devices, and requires to be installed in parrallel for the BB10 to work.

My question is then.. HOW do you get the BB10 to communicate with Lotus Domino?

From everything that i can see so far, is that with the BB10 , its all based off Activesync.  Which is fine for an exchange user, but it is not defaultly there for a Domino user.

Now, Domino does currently have their Lotus Traveler server/service, which this allows pushing out to iPhone and Android via Activesync.   Will this be the method that would have to be used to connect a BB10 to a domino server?

I have a pending ticket with IBM right now.. but most of their database of info, says to contact RIM (well, i guess called BLACKBERRY now :smileytongue:). 
Hopefuly this is the correct answer... otherwise, blackberry has now lost 20+ users at our business, as we can not change the email server (its interconnected with our US partner)

Contributor
chickeeen
My Device: 9790

Re: BES 10 and Lotus Domino/Notes

We have also installed BlackBerry Mobile Fusion and BlackBerry Device Service. Everything okay so far, but how can we connect BDS to our Domino environment ? As far as I've heard / read it uses the Lotus Notes Traveler feature. Is there anywhere some documentation on that ? I seem not able to find anything related !

Thanks for any advise on that!

Contributor
GDkitty

chickeeen,

Which blackberries do you have? 
For any OS 7 devices or older, you need the BES or BIS installed, with the agent that connects to the lotus notes server.

The Traveler, is a notes agent, for push OUT to devices (iOS, android, some win OS's, etc)

Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

To get BDS work with Domino, you need Traveler 9.0 which is a beta currently. Final of Traveler 9.0 shall be released in March.
Contributor
chickeeen

Thanks for the replies, we have currently some BES 5.0.4 with users running version 7.1 and prior. We are preparing MF/BDS for BES10 devices, at some point we're going to have a look at UDS for other devices too, but primary object is to be ready for the new devices. As far as I've understood, for BES10 Lotus Notes Traveler will be working as a connection to scan / check the mailfiles. Therefore I am wondering how I configure / connect Traveler on BlackBerry side ?

Contributor
GDkitty

Thats a good question.

From what i have been looking over on the traveler end..
It seems to always connect via activesync.. but on Android, Noika, and iphone, it requires another app, i guess like a translater/inbetween program... compared to a windows phone, which will naitively connect with just exchange activesync address info entered.

Which way they go with it with the BB I guess is the question.

Contributor
vkurian
My Device: 9780

So, with out Traveler 9.0 BDS is not going to work? Is it confirmed? What i understood was that Active sync support was an option to configure Domino mails without BDS.

Contributor
chickeeen

As far as I know for BDS you need ActiveSync with Traveler installed because it is an Exchange communication method and not Domino. Though I've heard something that BlackBerry want / will provide some Domino native implementation as it used to have been. But this could also be just rumours...
Contributor
vkurian
My Device: 9780

This link will give some insight on how it works. Good news is that we do not need BES server to connect to Domino Server with BB 10 devices. Bad news is, this needs Lotus Traveler 9.0 which is yet to be released. To test it, will have to try it with beta version or wait till it releases on March. IBM is far behind as always.

http://vowe.net/archives/013555.html

Contributor
chickeeen

Thanks for your addition vkurian, is that fact that BES10 is only working with Traveler 9 and not with earlier versions of it ? I would be interested in further reading on this in case you still have the links around. Thanks!