Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
Durandal16
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

BES 10 and a Hosted Microsoft Exchange

Our company currently uses a hosted MS Exchange and BES service, and our provider still doesn't support BES10. I would like to upgrade our BB devices to BB10 for a variety of reasons.

Is it feasible to setup our own BES10 server and connect it to our hosted Exchange? Does it even need to connect to Exchange since BB10 now uses ActiveSync?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

D.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: BES 10 and a Hosted Microsoft Exchange

Hello Durandal16,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thank you for your question regarding BES10 and a Hosted Microsoft Exchange.

There are 2 options if your ActiveSync is publicly facing then there is no need for BES10.1 as you can directly integrate to ActiveSync. 

If you are looking for more control over the devices and your ActiveSync is internal only then you can go to with BES 10.1. 

You can get the free trial from the below address. 

Get the BES 10 v10.1 trial

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Durandal16
My Device: Z10

Thanks for the response LoneWolf902.

My situation is this: My ActiveSync is publicly facing and hosted externally by a third party, but I do want to have better control over the devices. Can I use BES 10.1 in this situation?

Thanks,

Durandal16

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Hello Durandal16,

You absolutely can. When you create the EMail profile you would just put in the public facing ActiveSync name.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TheSand
My Device: Torch 9810

I am also Microsoft Hosted Exchange and my hosted provider isn't offering BES 10 yet (I thought they would for sure by now.) I want BES for many, many reasons but one of the biggest is SMIME. The hosted provider enables that for me on the BES server. Although I have to get the Private keys onto the devices myself using the Desktop Manager (Certificate sync to Outlook.)  I see for the newer Blackberries they want you to email the private key.  That will never happen - I won't do it that way.  So for SMIME to even work on the new BB 10 platform I am going to have to get the Private Key onto the device in some other way... Will the Link Software be capable of a certificate sync to Outlook like the Desktop Manager now is?

So there are really 2 questions:

Is it possible to run the BES 10 myself?  And if I do, can I use the BES sever to get the Private keys onto the Blackberries or will the Link Software be capable of that some time in the future?

If running BES 10 myself isn't possible - do you know of any Hosted Microsoft Exchange providers that are offering BES 10? I would prefer one located in the United States.  And I have to find one that lets me talk to the engineer so they can enable SMIME off the server (that wasn't easy to find as most hosted providers won't do that for you.)

Please use plain text.
randallshearer
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Has this been answered?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TheSand
My Device: Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

No it hasn't.  I have done a lot of reading on BES 10 and running it doesn't look that hard, you would just have to make sure it is even possible after reading this from the post above: 

LoneWolf902 said this, "If you are looking for more control over the devices and your ActiveSync is internal only then you can go to with BES 10.1."

And if your hosted exchange company's ActiveSync isn't internal you could run Microsoft Exchange Server yourself as well - it depends on how important BES and what it affords is to you and how much money and effort you want to put in.

I haven't pursued this possibility yet for several reasons. The SMIME private key should have the ability to be imported by USB cable via syncing with the Desktop Manager (like it is now for a BB OS 7 device on BES 5.) There are a myriad of reasons why importing it "localized or manually" is important. Once the private key is emailed as an attachment there can be too many people having access (even if that is just the techs who work on the BES server.) Nobody from Blackberry has stated why "OTA" is currently the only way to get a private key onto a BB and the obvious limitations and security concerns that presents.

Blackberry keeps saying they are going to be more enterprise oriented, prosumer friendly and security conscious.  But currently I am not seeing evidence of that.  The emailing of the private key is just one example of giving us "less" security than our prior configuration.  In addition, BES 10 is Active Sync behind a proxy - no "proprietary protocol" for syncing anymore.  Now one thing about "proprietary" is we have no idea if it was better or worse compared to ActiveSync behind a proxy, proprietary isn't open source so we can find out.. But based on BB history - I am thinking it was very good.  

I don't want a "downgrade" in regard to my BES security because Blackberry wants to play ball with BYOD Android/iPhone consumers who are far less concerned about security. Blackberry Balance falls into this BYOD category as well - it has yet to be proven and that it exists at all, even if you don't use it (I never will, I have another smartphone for stupidity) could be a problem. Hopefully there is a way to completely wipe out that side and lock the phone down.  But I would still like to see someone hammer on Balance and see if it indeed will hold the line. 

I am not hearing enough, or reading enough to feel good about moving forward yet. I am hopeful that will change over time - they need time and I am willing to give it to them since my current BES BB show is meeting my needs.

So we hold and wait.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My UK office is all on BlackBerry Balance with BES 10.1.3.

They like the fact you can have work removed and not worry about their personal stuff be wiped out.

You can still wipe whole phone if needed.

BES uses end to end encryption. if your using SSL then there should be no worry either way unless you have an old cert that can be cracked easier.

I had an issue with DNS hoster for 3 days and only my BES 5 and 10 users were running with email on their phones. All other active sync devices and Outlook clients could not get email during this time unless they used VPN or were local on LAN.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.