Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
vkurian
My Device: 9780
Accepted Solution

BES 10 with Lotus Domino 8.5.3 and BES 5.03

Hi,

We are having BES 5.0.3 configured with Domino 8.5.3 which is working perfectly. We are now planning to get the new BB Z10 for our CEO and VPs. I have understood from some blogs that we need to have parallel installation of BES 10 to have both new and old devices to interoperate. I am from U.A.E and I have contacted our ISP but they do not have any clarity about this upgrade yet. Is it possible to buy the new BES online and install it ourself? If we do it by ourself will there be any issue with the support?  Is there any documents or manuals explaining how to go about with this upgrade? Will our existing Domino 8.5.3 work with BES 10? 

Thanks

VK

Please use plain text.
Contributor
johnnyuk
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64GB, Curve 9380

Re: BES 10 with Lotus Domino 8.5.3 and BES 5.03

Hi,

If you want to manage the new Z10 phones in a similar way to how you manage your current Blackberry phones you will need to install the Blackberry Device Service component of BES10 on a different server to your BES5 install.

If you just want to get them up and running with work email you can also just connect them using ActiveSync like any other smartphone out there, assuming your version of Domino supports ActiveSync (I have no experience of Domino sorry).

BES10 docs can be found here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

You can get a 60 day free trial of BES10 here:

http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/bes-10.html

BES10 includes a component called Universal Device Service for managing iOS and Android devices, but you don't have to install that to manage BB10 devices, you just need the BDS component. BES10 also includes a nice looking unified console for basic management tasks for all activated devices, old and new, called Blackberry Management Studio. BMS is fairly lightweight in terms of the resources it uses and can be installed on the same server as an existing BDS install as long as you change the port number for its website during install as BDS will already be using the default port.

The BES10 software is now free, you just pay for device CALs. Until the end of this year you can trade in your old BES CALs for the new BDS CALs for BB10 devices for free here:

http://us.blackberry.com/business/blackberry-10-ready/bes-license-trade-up.html?IID=us:bb:desktop:Bu...

I hope that helps explain things.

Johnny

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vkurian

Thanks Johny for your reply. It almost clarified all my queries. I have read from some blog that, to have Active Sync working with Domino we need Lotus Traveller 9.0 which is still in beta version. In this case, I think we should be able to configure/activate the device through BES 10. I am going to try the trial version and will update the results here.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

traveller 9 is supposed to be released in march

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
DHulka
My Device: Z10

Traveller 9 isn't required. Traveler 8.5.3 works fine. I'm not sure where this rumour is coming from as I can't find the source. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GuyNotes
My Device: 8703e

That's great news, but what did you need to do?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vkurian

Please follow the steps given in Dhungate's post and you should be able to activate it. We are having Traveler 8.5.3 and were able to succesfully activate through BDS.

Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lugidani
My Device: 9000 / 9700 / 9800

Hi,

We have Lotus Domino 8.5.3 with Traveler 8.5.3 up and running.

Yesterday I have setup a BES 10 Server and this one is also up and running.

But how can I connect the BES 10 and Traveler? I didn't found any documentation about that and also no hint hat the BES 10 Administration Service...

brest regards,
confused admin,
Daniel

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vkurian

There are no agent or any other client to connect Traveler to BDS. We have to make sure the BDS can reach Traveler server using SSL. Follow these steps.

1. Make sure BDS server is in an Active Directory Domain (BDS will no more talk to Domino directory)

2. Add a user from the Active Directory.

3. In the user's Email settings in BDS, give the correct path to Lotus Traveler server and make sure the username resolved is changed to Lotus Domino Users Internet Username(refer to Dhungate old post in detail)

4. From the device go to work account activation and try to activate it. If it failis to activate, select Advanced from the same screen and input the BDS Server ID which will be displayed in the User details after adding the User and creating enterprise activation password.

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GuyNotes
My Device: 8703e

With little information being passsed by Lotus/IBM and Blackberry it is hit and miss. 

What you need to do is to set a MAIL Profile.  In here you will see where to point the BES10 server to gather mail.  Under the EMAIL PROFILE SETTINGS is where you point the Server Name to reflect your Traveler server.  I have done this, connected my bosses new Z10 unit and although the BES has it registered he has yet to see any synch or mail. I have installed a BETA Domino9 server and a BETA Traveler 9 server with no success still having the BES10 connect to it

Personally this is a mess from both sides...If you can get it set from here please let us all know...

Please use plain text.