Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 4.1.16 sync issues - new BES 5.0

Hi all, we have the free version of BES 4.1.xx and a little while ago our exchange server failed, we had to create a new one, now the BES server seemed to restart sending mail after awhile and I thought everything all good, however we cannot get devices to sync calendar or contact info back to the users desktop. I have tried various thing for the last couple of days, then realised there is a new version out.

We have a virtual environment, so I thought I might as well start anew, new database etc. We would I gather need to use our old SRP key etc, we only have a dozen users so not too worried about wiping handset and re-activating to new server, i would however like to ask if there will be any gotya's....Will I be able to configure the new server without the SRP key?, can I use it at same time for a certain period or not etc....

Ideas please

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 4.1.16 sync issues - new BES 5.0

[ Edited ]

I would fix what you have first then goto BES 5.0.

Did your mail server lose info?

Is your exchange DB repaired now?

You can run BES 5.0 along with the old 4.1 and use transporter to move users.

Message Edited by knottyrope on 09-17-2009 09:41 AM

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

The exchange server is a new one, new DB etc....I think it has something to do with stamps on the root container of mapi of mailbox or something...anyway, its well over my head.

I have realised that the 5.0 version i have downloaded is an upgrade package, not a fresh install, so checked with our providers web site and got a fresh install package ( with new SRP and lic key for 1, I've checked and my additional licences will install on it), but its an older version 4.1.4 i think, and is the professional software version for up to 30 people...our existing is 4.1.6 and appears to be the full blown enterprise but still state small business version?....Its all a bit confusing, RIM must have changed the packages in the last 2 yrs...

Doesnt look like the BPS is up to the same version either!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Yeah there are 3 flavors wtih 4.1

BES unlimited SP6

BES Small bussiness for 15 users SP6

BPS professional for 30 users limited to SP4

And the new BES 5.0

It gets confusing fast.

There is not upgrade from BPS to BES 5.0 but you can upgrade it to BES 4.1.6 then to BES 5.0.

With a new Exchange DB it might be easier to export the contact info from the phones with desktop manager and import it back into Outlook.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Hi knotty, thanks for the quick reply, how do I get BES small business for 15 again?, thats my original server...how can I upgrade what ive got....BPS to BES 4.1.6 then 5.0?
Guru III
My Device:

I dont know where you can download it anymore.

For BPS you can get a free copy of it here

http://www.blackberry.com/select/professional/express.shtml

You can upgrade BPS to BES by running the install of BES

if you dont have those files the free trial will work, just use your original SRP info and CALs

BES trial here

https://www.blackberry.com/eBES/trialOrder.do?id=15

For upgrading to 5.0 when done I find its best to set up a NEW BES server and use transporter to move users over.

BES 5.0 will take some time getting used to it and setup can be fun.

you can get a trial of it and when ready to buy you can change the SRP on it.

SRP change info here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB04927

Contributor

Okay, so it sounds like I have lost my free 15 BES option?....does the BES 15 have a V5.0 or is that limited to 4.1.SP6...I'm looking at the comparison and wondering if we will miss some of the functionality at all?!....advanced calendar functionality (whats that?) and editing\viewing attachements?...well they were very hard to read anyway on pearls....
Guru III
My Device:

Knot sure if you actually lost it, did you keep a copy of the install files anywhere?

There are only 4 flavors that I mentioned before.

BPS does have some limitations but you can always get a trial and see if it is right for you.

Contributor

Hi Knotty, no, I dont have the original install files, it was over 2 yrs ago now, and I had upgraded a couple of times...Didnt realise I would be able to download it again...However I still have the BES 4.1.16 which is 15 max full BES.....I just cant get the calendar to sync both ways, i have contacts and mail going both ways...

I will probably just scrap the BPS server idea...I might try a new mailbox build....

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Hi,

You WILL need your SRP ID.

It came with licenses that you have/had so if you dont have it then you cant use those licenses. This may mean you will have to spend money to purchase licenses that you technically already have but now cant use.

As well, you MUST have the BES SBS software to use your SRP ID. You cant use it on BPS as the CAL licenses will be reported as invalid (if you try to install on a New BPS install).

RIM will have a copy of the old software (somewhere) so if your comapny can provide the original details of the purchase (ie the original Purchase email, etc, then you can get RIM to reset the account for yourself or someone else and then you should be able to download it from the RIM email again......

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq