Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
dq72
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell

BES 5.0.2 Migration to New HW

Hello,

We host a single BES instance (5.0.1 - to be updated to 5.0.2 tomorrow) with the BESMgmt DB on the same server. I've stood up new HW, and just received the BES migration kit (Second SRP)

My DBA installed SQL 2008 on my new server and copied the BES DB's over to it.

Now's the point where I'm looking for some advice.

I downloaded the 5.0.2 (Bundle 36) SW to my new server (with the goal of installing BES, connecting to the local DB copy that my DBA just setup, (copy of the original on the current prod server) and running the 2 side by side while I migrate users over.

When I run the setup.exe the option "Database location" 'local' is grayed out and the only option is 'remote'.  Is this because BES 5.0.2 is an 'upgrade' version only? This is the newly released  besx_upgrader_5.0.2.exe that is available for download on RIM's site.

Or, am I missing a step here?

My goal is to now run a second instance of BES (same BES domain but new server - new name) and copy users over in groups during the next month without them losing any settings\configurations etc.

KB12304 states"....Direct the new BlackBerry ES instance to the existing BlackBerry ES instance". My dillemma is that the old server will be decommissioned in a couple of months, so I want to point to the new install to the local instance, not the one on the existing instance.

Whats the best way to address this??

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 5.0.2 Migration to New HW

[ Edited ]

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

then install new BES using the new SQL server and once all is tested, then move users in BAS to new server.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dq72
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Since my DB's are installed locally, does this mean that I need to move the existing DB to the new server, and then connect  to the new (single DB instance - now on the new server), or can I keep my existing as is, and run a copy on the new server? Running 2 in parallel, 1 in production, and the 2nd(new one) on a copy of the production database?

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

knottyrope wrote:

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

then install new BES using the new SQL server and once all is tested, then move users in BAS to new server.

Then install BES after DB move and you should be good to go.

If you want to run both then you have to make a new database on the new server and use transporter to move users over.

or

move the database over and point the old BES to the Databse on the new server and install BES on the new server after and move users over in BES to new server

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.