Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
markannis
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: 02
Accepted Solution

BES 5.0.3 upgrade and new hardware

Hello,

We currenlty have BES 5.0.2 with an Exchange 2003 environment, and want to upgrade to BES 5.0.3 and would like some best practise advice how to go about this.

For refence the BES 5.0.2 is on a single Win2003 server, and was actually an inplace upgrade from 4.1.6 using the free MSDE database.

Since the current BES hardware is getting a little bit old, the router service will not automatically start after a reboot and I think MSDE is no longer supported for 5.0.3(?) it would seem a good time to move to new hardware and OS Win2008R2.

Can you walk me through how we get from BES 5.0.2 to 5.0.3 on different hardware, migration of SQL databases MSDE to sql express 2008 r2? With minimum impact and down time for the 75 or so Blackberry users?

I've heard people talk of knife edge cutovers OR migration kits with second SRP keys - what would be best?

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 5.0.3 upgrade and new hardware

[ Edited ]

Migration kit would be best if you have T support.

first do this

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

once that is done you can do a knife edge cutover with HA before of after a upgrade to lastest version.

Here is most of the documentation you need will to install and administer the BB 5.0 server:

Server 5.0 Upgrade Paths:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/upgradepath.jsp

Server 5.0 Intsallation Support:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp

Server 5.0 Upgarde guide:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7315/index.jsp?name=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Serve...=

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit Docs and Files

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Ser...

Server 5.0 Admin Tutorial:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7466/flash_start.html

All Server guides:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

Then when you are done with the above follow this one.

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markannis

Thanks knotty,

Yes we have T support - so sounds like the Migration kit is the best solution? BUT are you saying in your post that using the migration kit we still need to follow KB03112 first?

What is involved with the Migration kit route?

ALSO for clarification KB03112 does not mention "SQL Server 2008R2 Express" as a suitable new SQL server - is the R2 Express a supported SQL version??

Finally you comment about KB22601 Exchange 2003 - 2010 migration is that something you are recommending to do for some sort of upgraded MAPI client support? Unfortunately I think we are stuck with Exchange 2003 for some time to come yet...

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

markannis wrote:

Thanks knotty,

Yes we have T support - so sounds like the Migration kit is the best solution? YES

BUT are you saying in your post that using the migration kit we still need to follow KB03112 first?  I would move the database to the new machine first, then you can do more after.

What is involved with the Migration kit route? You use the new SRP in the kit and the old one dies after 60 or 90 days letting you run 2 BES servers at same time.

ALSO for clarification KB03112 does not mention "SQL Server 2008R2 Express" as a suitable new SQL server - is the R2 Express a supported SQL version??

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart
http://us.blackberry.com/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

Finally you comment about KB22601 Exchange 2003 - 2010 migration is that something you are recommending to do for some sort of upgraded MAPI client support?

Sorry part of my BES macro, ignore if not going that route.

Unfortunately I think we are stuck with Exchange 2003 for some time to come yet...

Regards

Mark

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markannis

Thanks,

Just to be clear you are recommending moving the existing database to a new server AND then using the migration kit to create a second server with seperate SRP key? Why would you move the database - can you run TWO BES servers with different SRP keys both linked to the same database??

Regarding moving databases - documentation talks about the BESMgmt database but i notice we also have additional DB: mdss_dis, & BMSStore & mdss - how are these related and should they be moved in a similar way to the BESMgmt database?

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

markannis wrote:

Thanks,

Just to be clear you are recommending moving the existing database to a new server AND then using the migration kit to create a second server with seperate SRP key? I was going on what you were saying.  Why would you move the database - can you run TWO BES servers with different SRP keys both linked to the same database?? Yes you can, but are you keeping the database on the old server?

Regarding moving databases - documentation talks about the BESMgmt database but i notice we also have additional DB: mdss_dis, & BMSStore & mdss - how are these related and should they be moved in a similar way to the BESMgmt database?  If going to new hard ware and using a migration kit, maybe it would be best to install BES fresh with a new database and move users over with transporter.

Are you using any complex IT policies or pushing apps?

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markannis

OK, so I think we are talking about two different scenarios and getting confused thinking they are one and the same.

Scenario 1

We move to new hardware by first migrating the database as per steps in KB03112 THEN rebuild new BES server and link to old moved DB

OR

Scenario 2

Build a fresh install of BES server with completely new Database, using a new SRP key from T Support - and then use a transporter tool to move users from old BES / DB server to new BES / DB server?

Our IT policies are fairly straight forward and we don't push apps.

In Scenario 1 when we move databases what about these additional DB's what are they, do they need to move also?

In Scenario 2; I assume the transporter tool is included in the migration kit??

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

markannis wrote:

OK, so I think we are talking about two different scenarios and getting confused thinking they are one and the same.

Scenario 1

We move to new hardware by first migrating the database as per steps in KB03112 THEN rebuild new BES server and link to old moved DB

OR

Scenario 2

Build a fresh install of BES server with completely new Database, using a new SRP key from T Support - and then use a transporter tool to move users from old BES / DB server to new BES / DB server?

Our IT policies are fairly straight forward and we don't push apps.

In Scenario 1 when we move databases what about these additional DB's what are they, do they need to move also? Some do have to move and you have to change location in registry too.

How to move the BlackBerry MDSS databases to a new Microsoft SQL Server or server instance

In Scenario 2; I assume the transporter tool is included in the migration kit?? Is free for BES and easiest method.

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markannis

OK, so what about this scenario:

I migrate the BESMgmt db from OLD host A to new hardware B.

THEN get a migration kit from T Support with new SRP key - install BES 5.0.2 onto new hardware B (does it detect and use the existing migrated BESMgmt DB, also currenlty being used by OLD host A?)

THEN transport users from OLD host A to new host B

THEN shutdown OLD host A

THEN inplace upgrade host B to 5.0.3

I'm still not sure about these x3 extra DB's I have - would new mdss,mdss_dis & BMSStore be created on new host B as part of the 5.0.2 installation with the new SRP key?

Regards

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

markannis wrote:

OK, so what about this scenario:

I migrate the BESMgmt db from OLD host A to new hardware B.  Then run installer to point to new DB.

THEN get a migration kit from T Support with new SRP key - install BES 5.0.2 onto new hardware B (does it detect and use the existing migrated BESMgmt DB, also currenlty being used by OLD host A?)  you can point it to the current dataabse

THEN transport users from OLD host A to new host B  No just move users

THEN shutdown OLD host A

THEN inplace upgrade host B to 5.0.3

I'm still not sure about these x3 extra DB's I have - would new mdss,mdss_dis & BMSStore be created on new host B as part of the 5.0.2 installation with the new SRP key?

Regards

Mark

I would still go with method 2 from prev post.

install, test, transport, done

users will hardly notice it being done. Doing a DB move will require downtime and then more for the upgrade.

or just move database and install SP3, but is more risky if some thing goes wrong.

Please use plain text.