Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 5.0 No administrator console

I've just finished installing BES 5.0 on a SBS 2008 server running Exchange 2007, IIS 7.0 and SQLExpress 2005.  The install says it completes successful, however when you go to open the Administrator Console it says page cannot be displayed.  If you look further, the instance it is looking for in IIS does not exist, nor do the physical directories it says it is looking for.  I attempted running the install again to no avail.  There are no error messages in the event log.

Additionally, I was getting an error about the webkey, however I resolved that by creating the key manually with articles I found here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Re: BES 5.0 No administrator console

Make sure that IIS is not configured to monitor port 443.  I actually disabled IIS completely on my server and it worked great. 

John Eaton

Tempe, AZ 

New Contributor

IIS is bound to port 443, and this is required for the SSL components of OWA.  The Administrator Console for BES is pointing to a virtual directory inside of SBS Web Applications in IIS sites, in which case port 443 should pass through when the virtual directory is called from the browser window.  I am seriously trying to avoid setting up a seperate server just to run BES.
Retired

Hello Aquiton,

Windows Small Business server 2003 (I realize you have it on SBS 2008) is not recommended for BES 5.0

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

BES 5.0 is a enterprise solution that relies on quite a few resources that may have been pre-occupied by a SBS (port 443 just being 1 of them)

Installing BES 5.0 on a DNS/DC/Exchange/SQL/OWA is therefore not recommended.

You can workaround the 443 port conflict by locating the following KB18175 that can be located on our kb portal http://blackberry.com/btsc/

If there are other issues, please do not hesitate to contact this thread.

UEC
Visitor

While I understand that Blackberry does not recommend 2008 SBS as a platform for BES 5.0, I have found a few tricks to make your install run smoothly.

Disclaimer:  This is what worked for me as part of a very long process testing this install.  Your results may vary. I accept no responsibility for anything that happens, either good or bad.  If you really like this, post your experience.  Ok, so on with the install . . .

During the initial install process:

When asked for your port for Administration Service, set it to 10443 (or another number you pick)

When configuring the Administration Service, set a password and use the Administration Service Authentication to avoid relying on Active Directory (which fails for me)

After the Install program is complete:

Stop both the AS services and open your installer log.  Search for 'GenerateBAS'  Look at the command following the search string.

Open a prompt window.  Navigate to path:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BAS\bin\

Use your info from the installer log to construct a command like:  (hint: you may only have to copy/paste and add the " marks)

webGenKey.bat "C:\PROGRA~2\Java\jre1.5.0_15\" "path:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BAS" password ServerFQDN

Once that is done:

Restart your AD server wait a few minutes, then try to connect using the link the installer gave you.  Be sure to tell the browser that you really do want to continue even though the certificate has errors, and use the Blackberry Administration Login process instead of AD.

Congratulations, you should now be looking at the BES AD screen.

Good Luck.

--UEC

I'm having the same issue with BES 5.0, Server 2008 Standard and Exchange 2007.  I've installed the BAS on port 663 and I still get "cannot display the webpage" when I browse to any of the URLs provided.

I understand this is not a supported configuration, but even the workaround isn't working for me.

If this isn't possible, are there any other solutions besides installing a separate server?  The hardware that I'm running on isn't Hyper-V capable so at this point I can't even install a Virtual and put BES on that.

Fixed it.  I'm assuming this is because I left UAC on during the install (even though I elevated permissions).  The web.keystore file was being generated, but only into a VirtualStore directory (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Research In Motion).  I copied this file into the real Program Files directory, which promoted me to elevate in order to write into the Program Files directory.  I restarted the BAS-AS service and was able to login.

This seems like a bug in the installer to me since I elevated the setup.exe file but still had that web.keystore file in the VirtualStore directory.