Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 5.0 Upgrade on a new server question

I have a question about one item in the BES 5.0 Upgrade Guide for MS Exchange.

I'd like to perform the upgrade by moving to a virtualized Windows 2008 server on our ESX cluster instead of upgrading in place.

In the upgrade guide on page 43 the guide states:

After you finish: After you complete the upgrade process, users must reactivate their BlackBerry devices. Instruct users to connect
their BlackBerry devices to the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager to receive new SRP routing
and service name information.

Is that correct?

Normally if you moved a user from one BES server to another they don't have to reactivate their device.

Can you please confirm or deny the accuracy of that statement? It has a big impact on our 250 device users if they all have to reactivate, and would chnage my plans for the upgrade accordingly.

Thanks!

Brian Everitt

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: BES 5.0 Upgrade on a new server question

I would like to know this as well. It would change my upgrade plans drastically.
New Contributor

One new item I found is a new tool called the Blackberry Enterprise Transporter.

You can use it to move users either in live mode or in bulk from one BES domain to another.

I installed a trial of BES 5.0 with a new database and used the transporter tool to move a couple of handhelds and it worked very smoothly. It is kind of slow, but it gets the job done.

That's probably the approach I'm going to take now.

Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

What upgrade path are you taking?

I'm curious since I have a single server, with roughly 200 users, and would like to move it to a new virtualized server as well.