Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
ferrarafire
My Device: Not Specified

BES Migration and Upgrade

We currently are running BES for Exchange 4.1.6 and are trying to figure out the best way to upgrade to BES 5.0 and get to newer hardware.  We have built a new machine to host the BES but we would like to impact the end users as little as possible.  We don't want to  have them reactivate their phones or have anything more than a couple of minutes downtime.  It seemed that the Upgrade via Cutover and Upgrading the database was the way to go as we would have kept our SRP and configuration.  However in the upgrade manual it appears that it would cause the users to have to reactivate their phones. 

So, should we use the Cutover via new machine and new database method?  I currently only have one SRP and I'm not sure how to get another one and make it my permanent one.  Wouldn't using this method cause even more issues as the SRP is actually changing? 

We currently don't have anything setup in our MDS on the old server but would like to use it on the new one to push the occasional application.  So we aren't worried about losing any data we currently have setup in it for now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Migration and Upgrade

Install BES 5 on the new hardware and use transporter to move users to the new system.,

User will only experience a 3 min outage if any for most.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ferrarafire

Sorry, I'm not familar with transporter.  Would that be using the new machine and new database method or new machine and upgrading the old database? 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tng403

You use the Transporter tool when you have 2 seperate Blackberry domains and you want to migrate users account from one to the other.  So in your case it will be the new machine and new database method. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ferrarafire

Using the new server and new database won't require any action on the end users' part?  I thought it would require them to go through the enterprise activation again.  Also if I'm using that method, won't I need a new SRP and CAL's?  If so, how do I go about getting ones for the new server?  The plan is to install the new server, move the users, and licenses, and then totally deactivate the old one.  Hopefully with no noticeable impact to the end users.

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

ferrarafire wrote:

Using the new server and new database won't require any action on the end users' part? None I thought it would require them to go through the enterprise activation again. 3 minute lapse if they even notice it.  Also if I'm using that method, won't I need a new SRP and CAL's? nope they transfer over with the upgrade. If so, how do I go about getting ones for the new server?  The plan is to install the new server, move the users, and licenses, and then totally deactivate the old one.  Hopefully with no noticeable impact to the end users. Thats the nice part with transporter.

Thanks for the help.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tng403

No, users will not have to reactivate their Blackberry's accounts again.  Yes you will need a new SRP ID and SRP authenticatin key which you can get from BES support for free.  Ask for the Migration Kit.  The CALs you can use the same one from your old BES.  The only caveat wit the transporter tool, is that it only support BB device version 4.0 and higher and it doesn not support version 4.3. 

Please use plain text.