Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

BES Subfolder Pre-Poplation Question

Okay, I'm coming back to the BlackBerry after being with the iPhone 4. It just got here and I'm in the process of setting it up.

A few things to know: I use a hosted BES service through 4smartphone, and I wanted to try and get my existing messages into their subfolders.

I know from past experience that it'll only filter new messages into the subfolders but not the older ones. I'm wondering if there's some way I can "trick" the servers by placing all of my messages into the inbox prior to Enterprise Activation for the first time and then manually transferring each message into its correct subfolder to get what I want. In all, there are 89 messages, so I wouldn't be here for days doing it.

Anyone have any idea as to whether this would work?

Thanks for the help!

x14
New Contributor
My Device: 9800

Re: BES Subfolder Pre-Poplation Question

That would be the correct procedure. Move the message to the Inbox, perform EA, then put the messages in the folder. Be aware there is a limited number of messages BES will prepopulate (by default it is 5 days or 200 messages).

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Since it is hosted, might not be much you can do server wise. You can however ask for these to be enabled.

KB11632 - How to increase the number of email messages sent to a BlackBerry smartphone during the en...

If using the same PIN upon activation look at this KB

KB04713 - Enable message prepopulation for all users on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server

For subfolders you have to enable them first.

KB11434 - No messages are displayed in subfolders following enterprise activation

Then activate the device again and as long as the items are not too old, they will get to you device.

or forward them all to your self, I prefer to do a remote search for mine.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.  I think it has something to do with the way 4smartphone has BES set up. 

Guess I'll have to live with it the way it is, because I don't feel like forwarding dozens of messages to myself just to get them, as much as I want/meed them.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Quick trick:

In the BlackBerry smartphone user's mailbox, create a subfolder of the Inbox called Recover.
Drag the email messages to be restored to the Recover folder.
On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Messages.
Click Search.
Set the Search Type to Remote.
Set the Service to Desktop.
Set the Folder to Recover.
Press the Menu key and click Search.
While viewing the search results, press the Menu key.
Click Add All.
The message headers for the email messages will be added to the message list on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Contributor

Thanks for the response. 

So, I want to see if I understand this correctly: by doing what you've suggested, the messages will make their way back into their respective folders?  Or will I have to manually refile them?

Thanks again.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

"Add All" will put them in your Inbox on the device, you would have the file them again. See also:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18577/Manage_message_search_results_60_1...
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks so much for your solution!  I've been searching for a solution to this problem and yours was the first one to have worked, you made my life a whole lot easier!

Cheers!