Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
erichodges
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

BES and SQL 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Groups

I just set up a pair of SQL 2012 servers that an AlwaysOn Availability Group to provide redundancy. While I notice that BES 5.0.4 supports SQL 2012, I can find no mention of Availability Groups.

I'd love to migrate our BES databases to the new system to take advantage of their high availability. Can anyone let me know if such a configuration would be supported?

Thanks,

Eric

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES and SQL 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Groups

It will be here once supported

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart
http://us.blackberry.com/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
erichodges

Thanks, that is a handy chart.

However, are you sure AG compatibility will show up there? For instance, the chart makes no mention of whether SQL failover clusters are supported or not. I would guess that it's just taken for granted that they are compatible. I am tempted to make the same assumption about Availability Groups. The fact that there is an AG involved is really pretty transparent to the application connecting to the database.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, are you certain that it would ever show up there? Or can I just assume it's supported until told otherwise? Is it even on RIM's radar to test?

-Eric

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
erichodges

I tested this out by making our BESMgmt database part of an Availability Group and performing a failover. Unfortunately, the failover is not seamless. The BES Admin Service site stops working, saying it lost its connection to the database. The issue can be resolved by restarting the "BlackBerry Administration Service – Application Server" service. After doing so (and waiting a minute or two), the site works again even with the db being run by the secondary SQL server.

At least we'll be able to restore functionality quickly if the primary SQL server fails.

I will try to look for some sort of SQL timeout setting for BES - perhaps a longer timeout would be enough to trick BES into thinking everything is still fine after a failover (which takes about three seconds). Or even better, RIM will soon provide an update that specifically supports Availability Groups!  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
fermanagh
My Device: Z30

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything official from BlackBerry on this?

Thanks

Don't forget to hit like if I resolved your issue! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.