Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

hmc
New Contributor
hmc
My Device: torch
My Carrier: kpn

BES outgoing ports questions and general communications of BES

Hello,

We have a 5.0.3 enterprise solution running on one dedicated server which has a access to the exchange 2007 server. All servers are behind the corporate firewall.

When i try to find information about what ports are being used i only find the usual 3101 and 4101 ports and the UDP ranges. When monitoring our BES application server which has the router configured i'm not seeing loads of connections on the mentioned port range, in fact i see connections on port 80 and 443 to blackberry servers.

When i run the bbrsptest.exe util i end up seeing the outgoing 3101 connection from that test so our security firewall rules are fine.

Also, the firewall log entries coming from our application server are less then the actual mail we recieve on our blackberry devices. When doing a test from lets say a hotmail account to my corporate email account i expect a firewall log entry going from the application server to the WAN, but that's not the case, yet we do recieve the mail on our devices..

Could someone give me some insights about the communications of the BES to the outside world? Looking at the BES schematics that can be found it suggests all communications to blackberry devices are coming from the bes application server itself, but i'm not seeing half of it.

thanks.

L

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES outgoing ports questions and general communications of BES

hmc wrote:

Hello,

We have a 5.0.3 enterprise solution running on one dedicated server which has a access to the exchange 2007 server. All servers are behind the corporate firewall.

When i try to find information about what ports are being used i only find the usual 3101 and 4101 ports and the UDP ranges. When monitoring our BES application server which has the router configured i'm not seeing loads of connections on the mentioned port range, in fact i see connections on port 80 and 443 to blackberry servers.

When i run the bbrsptest.exe util i end up seeing the outgoing 3101 connection from that test so our security firewall rules are fine.

Also, the firewall log entries coming from our application server are less then the actual mail we recieve on our blackberry devices. When doing a test from lets say a hotmail account to my corporate email account i expect a firewall log entry going from the application server to the WAN, but that's not the case, yet we do recieve the mail on our devices..

Could someone give me some insights about the communications of the BES to the outside world? Looking at the BES schematics that can be found it suggests all communications to blackberry devices are coming from the bes application server itself, but i'm not seeing half of it.

thanks.

L

BES only uses port 3101 to RIM NOC for all corporate email, sync, etc. its like a VPN tunnel and you wont see anything in it.

it might use 80 and 443 for some updates that happen every hour or so. it is not needed to have these ports open but some day you will need them updated when a new device is released.

even though you monitor the firewall, the data being sent is via the 3010 port encrypted and also compressed more than SMTP would ever do, you might even see a 1 meg email squished to 1k on teh device until it needs more data like to download pictures or a file.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
hmc
New Contributor
hmc
My Device: torch
My Carrier: kpn

Hey, 

Thanks for your reply it does make sense. I never thought of that it could be in the form of a tunnel and therefor expected to see loads more traffic. 

thanks for the clearification.

L

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

your welcome

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.