Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
StrawBerryZ10
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

BES setup (1st time doing this- looking for insight)

I am frustrated by the (up to 15 minute) delay to receive incoming messages via IMAP on my Z10.

There is no way I am going to forward my business emails to my personal Hotmail account, just for the sake of faster delivery. My Hotmail emails come in instantly, but I'm not using it to push my work emails to my phone. I want a proper setup without any complications- one which properly supports subfolders and contact syncing.

With this in mind- I am considering setting up my own BES server.

Could this work for me? What soft of complications could this create that I should be aware of? Any input/ advice from someone running their own BES server would be much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES setup (1st time doing this- looking for insight)

StrawBerryZ10 wrote:

I am frustrated by the (up to 15 minute) delay to receive incoming messages via IMAP on my Z10.

There is no way I am going to forward my business emails to my personal Hotmail account, just for the sake of faster delivery. My Hotmail emails come in instantly, but I'm not using it to push my work emails to my phone. I want a proper setup without any complications- one which properly supports subfolders and contact syncing.

With this in mind- I am considering setting up my own BES server.

Could this work for me? What soft of complications could this create that I should be aware of? Any input/ advice from someone running their own BES server would be much appreciated.

BES 10 was fairly easy to install for me a month ago, just read themanual and folowed it exactly.

you can try Exchange Active Sync which will do push email, but once you find you want to access server shares, then BES 10 will make you life much better

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

How much should I expect to pay to setup a single Z10 with BES?

Is this going to be expensive?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BES 10 is free, you only Pay for the CALs

also can get a trail to see if you like it as well.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/bes-10.html

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

According to the BlackBerry website, they only offer a free 60-day trial:

http://ca.blackberry.com/business/software/bes-10.html

Am I missing something?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

download trial and try it, after 60 days you must buy a BDS CAL or it stops working

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

$99 for one 10 CAL license pack apparently.

That isn't good value if you're only using one device. Hmm

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

if you dont want the functions that BES can offer then just use Active Sync

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

I've enabled "Use push if supported" but still get this delay.

What should I do to enable ActiveSync? To be honest I'm still confused about push, ActiveSync and IMAP idle- and knowing exactly when each can be used.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

StrawBerryZ10 wrote:
I've enabled "Use push if supported" but still get this delay.

What should I do to enable ActiveSync? To be honest I'm still confused about push, ActiveSync and IMAP idle- and knowing exactly when each can be used.

Enable active sync is done on the mail server

some info for you EAS vs IMAP

https://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/07/10/3403386.aspx?Redirected=true

Please use plain text.