Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

BES to BESX Migration

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys.

Need you help in migrating 70 users from an installed BES to a BESX server.

I have been recently instructed by the management that they dont want the BES server anymore and could do with a BESX in the company, i have been advised to install the BES X and remove the BES Server. what are the best possible and easier options to do this

I have few scenarios.

1/ Install a fresh copy of BESX on a brand new server point it to the right database and then run the Enterprise  transfer tool wizard to move users across (the part i am not sure about... if the BES is still active and i point the BESX to the same database will this make any difference?)

2/backup all user devices (exceept service books) Install the BESX on the new server and activate it. then advise users to wipe and reactivate their devices with the new activation code

is there any other way of doing this? also is it possible to install the BESX on the same server which is running BES (active). if i install besx on the same server which is hosting the BES at the moment and then move the users and then deactivate BES from it

Please advise

Kind Regards

Faisal

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BES to BESX Migration

User information is stored in the SQL database, and the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter Tool is a SQL-only tool.  This means that you CAN actually do this all on one machine.  But you cannot have BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express running at the same time on the same machine.

1) Back up the existing database.

2) Uninstall the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or reimage the machine, whatever you choose.

3) Install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express to a new, blank database.

4) Bulk transfer all user from the old BlackBerry Enterprise Server database to the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express database.

5) Enjoy.

The big risk here is that if something goes wrong, it's more difficult to roll back, since you'd actually have to uninstall BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express and reinstall BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Contributor

Great. thanks for the reply

But if we do have the option of a seperate server installation. Can i Install the fresh copy of BESX on the seperate server,  point it to my exchange server and existisg database and then just move the users without even backup up anything?

Please advise

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Sure, that's not a problem at all.

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server can do Bulk Mode, when the source is disabled and the destination is active, and everyone moves at once.  Or, it can do Live Mode, where both source and destination are active, and users are moved one at a time in batches of 20.  Live mode takes longer, obviously, but it is completely seemless to the user and there is no outage.  They are out of contact for the brief period of time while their user object is being copied over, and then they resume functionality.

Contributor

Thanks. I will probably be carrying this forward next week. will definitely need your assistance at that time as well Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier