Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
NanuGTR
My Device: Not Specified

BES v5 handheld cant view attachment eg. jpeg, gif, etc....

Hello,

I recently upgraded from BES4.0.7 to BES 5.0 MR2, now the problem is when users receive an email with a picture attachment they click on the file and click view attachment nothing happnes.  This is the error that is generated by BES v5

<N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BES01 Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES01) | 09/03/2009 17:29:15  (EFFF2710) -> [UserWorkerThread] Exception occurred, error code is 997. [BH=1560768, CT=22343688, TI=4896, EM=x@xxx.xx]

The only way it works is if you select Download attachment, but the users want to skip that extra step and use view attachment.  

Any ideas what can be causing view attachment not to work??
Please help, thanks in advance for you help!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alexchan28

Re: BES v5 handheld cant view attachment eg. jpeg, gif, etc....

Hi ,

I got the same problem with our BES 5.0, did you get this fix?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NanuGTR

No did not figure this out yet still working on it....
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sgautreau

Any resolution to this?  I'm having the same issue on a clean install of BES 5.0 with MR2.  Word and Excel Docs seem to open fine, but images and PDFs generate "An unexpected error has occured".

I can download the images to the device and open them that way, but viewing them inside the email does not work.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Can someone look at the BES logs (not the app logs) for this issue and post it here.

I have someone else looking at this too.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Check this KB out 

Unable to view or open attachments on the BlackBerry smartphone

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11304

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sgautreau

[ Edited ]

Didn't work.  I've had a ticket open with Tech Support for a week now and they are looking into it, but I don't feel as if we have made any headway.  I've given them everything they have asked for, but it seems to be puzzling them as well.  Which is why I came here to see if anyone found a resolution.

I had an issue with just getting the main blackberry services to start when I first installed it.  I called support and they referred me to an older KB article that solved that problem.  I forget the exact error I was getting, but their solution was to remove the dependencies from the process via the registry, KB02004.  I wasn't getting the error 1075 like the article states, but I was getting the same error message.  I believe it had to do with lack of NTLM support in Server 2008. In the end it worked, even though I don't think it is really a solution.

I digress...

The only types of attachments I am having issues with are Images, MP3s, PDFs and PowerPoint.  PowerPoint works, but as text only.  You can't view the slide.

Images, MP3s and PDFs don't open.  It provides an unknown error has occured.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly.  I've tested on multiple devices running different versions of the handheld OS, with and without Documents to Go and get the same result on everyone.

There are other issues with BES on 5.0 but they seemto be very minor and don't affect end users for the most part like this one does.

EDIT:  This is why the main Blackberry Services were not starting on Install, NtLmSsp.  The error in the Event Viewer was: "The BlackBerry Router service depends the following service: NtLmSsp. This service might not be installed."
So removing all the dependcies fixed that and the services started.  However, the boot time of the server more than doubled after this.  Maybe it just takes these services that long to boot on Server 2008, but it wasn't like that before I editted the registry to remove the dependencies.  This is a rather powerful server too.

Message Edited by sgautreau on 09-15-2009 04:10 PM
Message Edited by sgautreau on 09-15-2009 04:20 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
se7en9057
My Device: 8330 Curve

You aren't by chance using a tour are you?

if so there are some third party applications that cause this issue.

bloomberg etc.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sgautreau

No Tours, only the Bold and different models of the Curve.

It doesn't matter what network carrier either.  It is the same result no matter the device, network, version of handheld OS, etc.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

The best thing to do here would be to put a user on a static agent then reproduce the issue then get the BES logs and have them reviewed.

Please post them with user/personal info removed.

Please use plain text.