Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
Isleofmine
My Device: BBZ10

BES10, Exchange 2010 and Active Sync message routing.

The BB10 device is using Active Sync to communicate with the Exchange Server,   do the messages route through the BES10 server or do they communicate directly with Exchange just as other Active Sync connections i.e. iOS and Android.     Is the primary role of the BES10 to push IT policy and applications,  and leave the messaging alone?

The question stems from our deployment of the BES10 and the high utilization of our CAS servers,  in front of our Exchange machines.     It could be a coincident,   but I would like to rule this out before I turn the BES10 back on.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

Re: BES10, Exchange 2010 and Active Sync message routing.

The email traffic will pass through the BES if the device is activated, but the actual connection is between the Z10 and ActiveSync. The BES isn't fetching and delivering the mail like it used to with older BB devices.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
Contributor
smoothrunnings
My Device: BOLD 9000

[ Edited ]

Wrong.

The actual connection isn't between the Z10 and ActiveSync. BDS proxies Exchange through ActiveSync, the message comes back to BDS were it's re-encapsulated to 256bit AES/3DES, it then tired to BBRY NOC and from there it's sent to the device, this is how it works for BB10 devices and your Playbook.

The other reason why you are wrong if you read the documentation you would know that your Exchange server doesn't need to be open to the internet for BDS. So go try it...turn off your HTTP/S traffice to your Exchange and see if your emails still works...I bet you it does! I know it does becuase I don't have my Exchange open to the internet, os no OWA or anything is open on the outside.

iOS and Android devices grab emais directly from your Exchange server on the internet through ActiveSync.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

But BDS is not responsible for the synchronization - the device uses BDS only to create a tunnel to your EAS server.
And please to not turn of the HTTPS traffic for your Exchange - BDS will not work :smileywink: But you do not need to publish it to the Internet.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
iceguy
My Device: Blackberry Q / Playbook

I think this needs to be emphasized MUCH BETTER

Many service vendors are saying that the new handsets are not using the Blackberry infrastructure just directly ActiveSync like iPhone and Android.... My vendor used this argument to try to get us drop BB

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

You can use EAS like an iPhone - but with the BDS it is different (see above)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
smoothrunnings

[ Edited ]

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smoothrunnings

Okay so your not confursed BB10 devices used BDS.

<--exchnge--><--BDS--><--BBRY NOC---><---BB10 device--->

UDS is for your iOS and Androd Devices.

Email:

Exchange ActiveSync---><---iOS or iSheep device

Please use plain text.