Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

BES10 -> 10.1 with UDS & BDS on Separate Servers = Pain

[ Edited ]

In the BES10 10.1 upgrade docs they describe the requirements and process for moving from BES10 to BES10.1, and the following text appears under the sections for upgrading BDS and UDS respectively.

Upgrading BDS

"If your organization's environment includes the Universal Device Service, after you upgrade you must manually add users to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 version 10.1 and reactivate iOS devices and Android devices."

Upgrading UDS

"If your organization’s environment includes the BlackBerry Device Service, after you upgrade you must manually add users to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 version 10.1 and reactivate BlackBerry devices."

Both these statements seem to infer that after upgrading one of the components in the environment, you must essentially start from scratch in the other by manually adding users and reactivating their devices. So, if I upgrade BDS first, I will need to manually re-add and reactivate all UDS users after upgrading the UDS component. Or, if I upgrade UDS first, I will need to manually re-add and reactivate all BDS users after upgrading the BDS component.

In my environment I have BDS and UDS installed on seperate servers. If they're saying what they appear to be saying, this upgrade is going to be a pain one way or the other.

Is this how you guys interpret this? If so, I have to ask, what the hell?

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

Re: So, Let's See If I Understand This Correctly

[ Edited ]

Just a quick update to my own post.

I called BlackBerry support and spoke to one of their 2nd tier engineers, and he confirmed that existing BES10 installations that have BDS and UDS setup on separate servers will need to upgrade either BDS or UDS, and then setup the other component from scratch. They don't seem to have an upgrade option at this time that will allow both components to be upgraded in place.

Even the upgrade process for a same server installation of BDS and UDS involves backups and deletions of the UDS database, so hardly a warm-fuzzy their either.

So, yeah....

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sudonix
My Device: Non-Blackberry user
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for posting this.  I've been wondering about it myself.  It seems we don't have nearly as many options for seperating components to different servers.  I had issues colocating the services under 10.0 so I chose to seperate them only to have this situation under 10.1. It certianly changes my architecture plans.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TrevorBerry
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: BT

Hi

Thanks for posting this information too,

I have been requested by a customer to upgrade their BDS/UDS infrastructure to 10.1 from 10 also - I originally did the install on this and placed UDS on one server and BDS on the other as this was recommended at the time, The customer now wants to consolidate these on to both servers (recommended in 10.1 now?).

Did some reading of the Upgrade and Install guide for the new version and I think the way to go on this is basically do a clean Install of 10.1 on a new VM and get the new cert / public IP/ Apple APN for it and run them parallel as you have said you have to activate all devices again regardless of which UDS/BDS server you upgrade which seems painful way of doing things to me.

Where’s the old days of next, next finish gone?

Cheers

Trev

Trevor Berry
A Berry working a BlackBerry World

BES 5.0.4
BES 10
Please use plain text.