Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
vhalperin
My Device: z10
My Carrier: 416-659-0486
Accepted Solution

BES10 pushed wifi profile

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have BDS 6.2 running and everything works fine unless I connect to a pushed Wi-Fi profile at work.

When connected to the Wi-Fi using the pushed profile i cant access our intranet using the browser and cannot send/receive corporate email (Gmail still works).  However, I can still browse the network shares using blackberry work drives

When I’m connecting to the same access point but not using the pushed profile everything works fine.

Thanks in advance!

Vlad

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Hape
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de

Re: BES10 pushed wifi profile

Hi Vlad,

BDS differs between Work WI-FI and Public WI-FI.

If you create and deploy a WI-FI Profile to your device. Then your device tries to connect directly to your Mailbox server. I guess this exactly is your issue.

You can use an internal WI-FI profile (certificate based).

Check out page 8 of this document and you will understand the difference.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/48972/BlackBerry_Device_Service_6.2_Feature_and_Tec...

Regards,

Hape

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
firmdale
My Device: 8900

Hi Hape

Do you mean that in order to use BDS Wi-Fi Profiles configured wireless network must have access to BDS?

By internal Wi-Fi profile you mean those configured manually on handheld?

Regards

Dawid

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Hape
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de

Hi Dawid,

I mean that BDS WI-Fi Profiles must have a direct connection to your mail (Exchange) environement.

If you push the profile via BDS to device, then the device tries to connect to your mail environement directly.

Internal Profile?

An Internal WI-FI can be used for Laptop users to allow access to company reccourrces (Shares and Internal services).

To be honest we do also not use a BDS WI-FI Profile. I would appreciate if BDS would not make any difference between those but it does and this make things much more complicated for us.

We adviced our users to manualy configure and use our public company WI-FI and thats it.

Regards,

Hape

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
firmdale

Hape

Thanks for clarification.

I have opened case with BB Support re this but haven't heard from them yet.

What strange BES profiles work for us on BES 5 server.

Thank you

Dawid

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daniellongo
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vivo

Hi firmdale

Do you have any update of BB Support? I have the same problem with you.

Thanks 

Daniel Longo
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
firmdale

Hi Daniel

See below official response from BB Support:

To confirm, your issue is:    

- Unable to connect to Active Sync from Z10 via pushed wi-fi profile

In regard to this issue, here is a link to a relevant article in our BlackBerry Technical Solution Center:    

BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, BlackBerry Device Service Version: 10.1
Advanced Administration Guide

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/52736/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Service_10_version_10....

Please note page 24 of this document:

Wi-Fi profiles Specify how users connect to your organization's Wi-Fi network

You can create a Wi-Fi profile to specify how users connect to your organization's Wi-Fi network within the firewall

A Wi-Fi profile pushed to a Z10 or Q10 device via the BDS server is considered to be a secure connection to your organizations Wi-Fi network, within the firewall.  

If you are pushing Wi-Fi profiles for a public network, there is no secure connection from that network to your Active Sync server, therefore users are not able to check email via the pushed Wi-Fi profile.

If users connected to the same Wi-Fi network without it being pushed (manual connect to Wi-Fi) they would be able to check email, as the connection would not be considered secure, and the devices would connect to the Active Sync resource as per usual.

The issue you are experiencing is by design, as Wi-Fi profiles pushed from the BDS server are considered to be secure.  To work around this issue, a VPN connection could be configured to allow the device to connect to your Active Sync resource via the public network Wi-Fi profile that you push from BDS.

To add a VPN profile to a Wi-Fi profile:

1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand Profiles.
    2. Click Manage Wi-Fi profiles.
    3. Click the name of the Wi-Fi profile.
    4. Click Edit profile.
    5. On the Wi-Fi profile settings tab, in the Wi-Fi associations section, in the VPN Profile drop-down list, select the VPN profile.
    6. Click Save all.

Please see page 26 of the above noted and linked guide for more information.

For more information, please review our Administrator Documents:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry+Enterprise+Servic...

Please use plain text.