Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
ssheikh
My Device: Not Specified

Backup/Restore through Web Desktop Manager

Hi,

I am in a migration scenario from a GroupWise environment over to Exchange 2007. The new BES is 5.0. Desktop Manager is not deployed to the desktops because it was not used in the previous environment.

My question is can the users use the Web Desktop Manager to backup data from their blackberries using Web Desktop Manager prior to wiping it and re-activating with the new BES.

It seems like Backup options only become available after the BlackBerry is activated on the new system.

The bottom line problem I am trying to find a solution for is a least effort process to backup user data from their blackberries before wiping them.

Thanks,

Shahid   

New Contributor
ssheikh

Re: Backup/Restore through Web Desktop Manager

Seems like Web Desktop Manager cannot be used to activate or backup/restore a device if the device has not yet been activated on that BES for the user logged in to the Web Desktop Manager.

Can someone confirm this please.

Thanks.

Contributor
Silly

We're in the same process of migrating from GW BES 4.x to Exchange 2007 BES 5.0 as well.  (And I share your pain!)

Sorry, I haven't been able to test any of these new features... just got done with testing the installation in restricted Lab environment (in VM) so only tested Wireless EA.  Since it's in segragated VM I can't test WebDesktop so cannot confirm that for you.

We were planning to recall all devices......and skip the back up step.  I originally planned to have that step but due to project timeline, and since users' GW account won't be deleted for a while but accessbile by backend admin, project group decides to not deal with backing up the devices.

Remember that you would need to open up the BB's policy if you have a restrictive policy in place so HH can activated on the new BES without significant issue.

Good luck!

Do post back if you find out anything... :-)

Thanks,

-silly-

New Contributor
ssheikh

Thanks for your reply. I don't think we can forego the backup step because of the other information users have stored on their blackberries which will get deleted when a wipe handheld is done.

Also there are about 400 BBs in the field. Recalling all of them will not be possible. We will have to empower at least some of the endusers with directions on how to Backup, Wipe, Activate, and Restore themselves.

Thanks.

Contributor
Silly

I'm with you on that, with the same rationale.  We have over 1000 BBs so ... :'(

But it's a risk the projec team is willing to take... I'm outnumbered. 

I'm really antsy to test out the WebDesktop functionality but cannot, not until we have Exchange setup in the live network.

I was just thinking what if - can we add the user into the Exchange BES, let user plug in their HH via WebDesktop and start the process?  Wouldn't that trigger the process allowing the user to backup/restore prior to EA, whether tethered or wireless.

Just tossing idea out ... theorectically that should be the process, but not 100% sure if that's the case in real life.  :-)

-silly-

New Contributor
ssheikh

As best as I have been able to tell, th eonly functionality available to the end user through the Web Desktop Manager prior to having an activated BlackBerry on the BES system is to assign themselves an activation password.

I don't see any other functionality like backup/restore. Once the blackberry has been wiped and activated on the new system, then the users get the options to backup/restore, change settings, etc.