Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
tvieson
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Enterprise Server DR Documentation

I'm looking for a good write up on backing up and restoring BES 5.0. I was unable to get my management to approve high availability, so I currently run two Windows 2003 servers running BES 5.0 MR2. They reference the same SQL cluster and are in the same BlackBerry domain. At this point the only data I backup are the database on the SQL cluster. What, from the two BES servers, do I need to backup in order to perform a restore? I checked the documentation for BES 5.0 and I only ran into high availability documentation.

Thanks,

Travis Vieson

BlackBerry Server Administrator

Chiquita Brands International

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BlackBerry Enterprise Server DR Documentation

The SQL database is the most important part. A knife edge cutover (almost the same as DR in some way) can be done fairly quickly if experienced with it.

NTbackup of the BES server at a minumum, stored on a second server or removeable media can be done for free.

I use Veritas BE 10 and worst case for me is to reinstall server os, install remote agent and then restore from tape. Usually less than 3 hours.

VM snapshots are looking better every day though.:smileywink:

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
tvieson
My Device: Not Specified

So as long as I have a copy of the SQL server I can rebuild the BES (OS and app), specify the same server name during BES install, and everything will come up good as new?

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

[ Edited ]
the SQL db is the backbone core of the BES, as long as you have the DB you can restore the BES enviroment. The operating system plays no role in this. So you are pretty correct, you can point a new BES at that SQL database and either expand your BES domain or do a knife edge cut over like Knot said.
Message Edited by bbhorrigan on 09-01-2009 04:30 PM

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!