Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Community Manager
Community Manager
TyW
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 FAQ

[ Edited ]
    1. Where do I download BES10?
    2. What are the system requirements for BES10?
    3. What hardware resources will I need for my BES10 installation?
    4. Do I need a service account in BES10??
    5. What are the pre-installation requirements?
    6. Can I perform an in-place upgrade of my BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 or earlier (BES 5) to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10)?
    7. Can I install BES10 on the same server hardware as BES 5?
    8. Do I need a service account in BES10??
    9. What major architecture components have changed from BES 5 to BES10?
    10. Does BES10 have Web Desktop Manager?
    11. What is BES10 Self-Service?
    12. Can you install BES10 on a mail server or domain controller?
    13. What is the BlackBerry Management Studio?
    14. What are the pre-installation requirements?
    15. What are the firewall port requirements for BES10?
    16. Why don’t I have a BlackBerry Router service by default?
    17. Can my BES10 use my existing BES 5 BlackBerry Router?
    18. Can I manage my BES 5 from my BES10?
    19. Can I activate, manage, or migrate my BlackBerry OS smartphones to my BES10?
    20. Can my users maintain their BlackBerry OS smartphones while also using a device managed by BES10?
    21. How does BES10 manage employee or company owned (BYOD, CYOD, or COPE) devices?
    22. Does BES10 have the same IT policies as BES 5?
    23. How do I connect to my company directory to easily add users?
    24. What are the post installation tasks, such as integrating my company directory, configuring the ActiveSync email profiles, etc.?
    25. Can I transfer my SIM from my BlackBerry OS device to my BlackBerry 10 device?
    26. How do you configure the Apple Push Notification Service (APNs)?
    27. Can we migrate our BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.x CALs to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.0 CALs (rather than 10.1)?
    28. We want to upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 but we're not ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 or 10.2, so what can we do?
    29. Are BES10 v10.2 CALs required for use with BES10 v10.2 server software?
    30. What is the new BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 EMM Regulated CAL?
    31. Will there continue to be Trial CALs available with BES10 v10.2?
    32. How does the wireless carrier know when a license is claimed? Is the claimant identified in any invoice that is provided to the carrier?
    33. Can a Wireless Carrier cancel/suspend a license on behalf of a user before the year is due? If so, how will BlackBerry handle account credits?
    34. If a customer adds a device mid-month, is the charge pro-rated?

1. Where do I download BES10?

Either sign up for the free trial of BES10 at http://blackberry.com/business or follow the directions in your EZ Pass welcome package.

For more details on EZ Pass, visit http://blackberry.com/ezpass.

2. What are the system requirements for BES10?

The BES10 Compatibility Matrix (PDF) provides a detailed list of the system requirements and supported third-party component versions.

3. What hardware resources will I need for my BES10 installation?

The BES10 Performance Calculator (XLS) can help determine the approximate server resources required to effectively run your BES10 environment.

Note: The Performance Calculator is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet which contains macros. For more information about macro security, please review the relevant Microsoft documentation. 

4. Do I need a service account in BES10?

Yes. BES10 uses a service account in a similar manner to BES 5. Since BES10 uses the ActiveSync protocol instead of MAPI protocol, the permissions needed have decreased. The service account requires local administrator rights and the following local security policy permissions:

• Allow log on locally (if not assigned by default)
  • Log on as a service
  • Log on as a batch job. 

For full steps on configuring these permissions, review the BES10 Installation Guide (PDF).

5. What are the pre-installation requirements? 

See the Requirements and Pre-installation tasks sections of the BES10 Installation Guide (PDF).  

We also encourage you to review the following web based training courses. 

6. Can I perform an in-place upgrade of my BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 or earlier (BES 5) to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10)? 

No. BES 5 and BES10 are two independent platforms. BES 5 is for managing BlackBerry OS devices whereas BES10 can manage BlackBerry 10 (BB10) devices, iOS devices, Android devices, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

7. Can I install BES10 on the same server hardware as BES 5? 

Although BES10 and BES 5 can coexist on the same server hardware, consider the level of available resources and downtime if server maintenance is required. For a smoother transition and operation, we recommend each product be installed on its own server hardware. For more information on hardware requirements for a co-installation, see the BES10 Installation Guide.  

8. Do I need a service account in BES10? 

Yes. BES10 uses a service account in a similar manner to BES 5. Since BES10 uses the ActiveSync protocol instead of MAPI protocol, the permissions needed have decreased. The service account requires local administrator rights and the following local security policy permissions:

• Allow log on locally (if not assigned by default)
  • Log on as a service
  • Log on as a batch job.

For full steps on configuring these permissions, review the BES10 Installation Guide (PDF).

9. What major architecture components have changed from BES 5 to BES10? 

There have been some major architecture changes in BES10 since BES 5. For a summary of the component changes please review BES10 Components – What’s Different?

For more detail, please review the BES10 Architecture and Data Flow Overview (PDF).

10 . Does BES10 have Web Desktop Manager? 

BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager was replaced with BES10 Self-Service. This new end user self-service portal provides new management options and video walkthroughs for your end users, reducing your support time. 

11. What is BES10 Self-Service?

BES10 Self-Service is a web-based application that is used to perform basic user tasks such as creating activation passwords, and sending device commands, for example, remotely locking a lost or stolen device. This self-service tool replaces the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager in BES 5. For more information, please review the BES10 Self-Service User Guide (PDF).

12. Can you install BES10 on a mail server or domain controller?

Installing BES10 on a server that hosts another crucial piece of enterprise software such as a mail server or domain controller is not suggested, recommended, or formally supported by BlackBerry Technical Support Services.

13. What is the BlackBerry Management Studio? 

The primary purpose of the BES10 Management Studio is to provide easy access to common daily user management tasks. It supports management of iOS, Android, BlackBerry 10, and BlackBerry OS devices, as well as BlackBerry Playbook tablets. Although more functionality is available in the native console, everyday tasks such as activating devices, assigning users to groups, and managing user accounts can be done from BlackBerry Management Studio.

14. What are the pre-installation requirements?

Please review the Requirements and Preinstallation tasks sections found in the BES10 Installation Guide (PDF).

15. What are the firewall port requirements for BES10?

Please review KB34192 - Configuring network firewalls to work with BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.

16. Why don’t I have a BlackBerry Router service by default?

Due to the new architecture, BES10 no longer requires the BlackBerry Router service. If your organization uses a BlackBerry Router, for example to fulfill a DMZ requirement, it can be installed independently.

17. Can my BES10 use my existing BES 5 BlackBerry Router?

Please review KB29748 -Configuring the BlackBerry Device Service to connect to an existing BlackBerry Router.

18. Can I manage my BES 5 from my BES10? 

Yes, basic BES 5 MDM domain management can be performed within the BES10 Management Studio, such as:

• Configuration activation settings
  • Activating devices
  • Assigning users to groups
  • Managing user accounts

19. Can I activate, manage, or migrate my BlackBerry OS smartphones to my BES10?

No. BlackBerry OS smartphone activation and management requires BES 5. BES10 is designed for BlackBerry 10 devices, iOS devices, Android devices, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

20. Can my users maintain their BlackBerry OS smartphones while also using a device managed by BES10?

Yes. Since the two databases are independent, devices managed on a BES 5 do not conflict with devices managed on a BES10.

21. How does BES10 manage employee or company owned (BYOD, CYOD, or COPE) devices?

All ownership and management scenarios are handled by BlackBerry Balance. The selection of license and activation type determines the level of corporate control over the end user’s device.

22. Does BES10 have the same IT policies as BES 5?

The IT policy sets in BES10 reflect the differing nature and capabilities of the device platforms. The overall policy sets have been rethought to provide a balance between complexity and capability. For more information, please review the following:

23. How do I connect to my company directory to easily add users?

Please review Adding your company directory BES10. For more information, please review the Connecting BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 to a company directory section found in the BES10 Configuration Guide (PDF).

24. What are the post installation tasks, such as integrating my company directory, configuring the ActiveSync email profiles, etc.?

Please review the Postinstallation tasks section found in the BES10 Installation Guide (PDF).

25. Can I transfer my SIM from my BlackBerry OS device to my BlackBerry 10 device?

BlackBerry OS devices use mini-SIMs. BlackBerry 10 devices use a newer, smaller SIM type. Contact your wireless service provider to receive the new SIM format. Do not modify an existing SIM to fit into a new device.

26. How do you configure the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS)?

Please review our post, APNS Simplified.  For more information, please review Apple Push Notification Service documentation located here.

For more information on overall configuration options, please review the BES10 Configuration Guide (PDF).

For a list of frequently asked questions licensing questions, please visit  http://blackberry.com/licensing.

27. Can we migrate our BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.x CALs to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.0 CALs (rather than 10.1)?

Yes, Customers can still chose to migrate their old BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.x CALs to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.0 CALs.

If this is your desired path, you'll need to pay attention to the options that are available to you within the Licensing Trade-up Tool.

28. We want to upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 but we're not ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 or 10.2, so what can we do?

You can still trade up your existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.x licenses to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, through using the BlackBerry Enterprise Service License Trade Up Program.

When your business is ready to take advantage of the enhancements in BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 or 10.2, you will also need to migrate your licenses.

As always, it’s easy to migrate and it won’t cost you a thing! To help you out, please review BlackBerry Enterprise Service License Migration Program

29. Are BES10 v10.2 CALs required for use with BES10 v10.2 server software?

New BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 annual CALs are not required to use the BES10.2 software. We provided BES10.1 subscription CALs that were required to work with the BES10.1 server software, to accommodate a significant update to our infrastructure. These same CALs continue to work with BES10.2 and are available now. BES10.1 CALs work with BES10.1 and BES10.2 server software.

30. What is the new BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 EMM Regulated CAL?

EMM Regulated CALs have been available for purchase since December 3rd, 2013 and are intended for use in countries where the Advanced SRV isn’t available. These CALs are for designed to accommodate situations where customers are unable to get Regulated data plans through their Wireless Carrier. Customers cannot Trade-Up or Upgrade to this Regulated CAL.

This CAL will enable the same EMM Regulated set of controls currently available via data plan. It can be used on Standard Smartphone data plans and requires BES10.2 Server software. Regulated Work Space only mode requires a minimum of device OS BlackBerry 10.1; Regulated Work Space and Balance mode requires a minimum of device OS BlackBerry 10.2.

31. Will there continue to be Trial CALs available with BES10 v10.2?

Yes! BlackBerry will continue to offer 50 EMM Corporate CALs and 50 EMM Secure Work Space CALs for a 60 day trial. An EMM Regulated Trial CAL is not available at this time. Any new BES10.2 trial keys added to a BES10.1 server will not function if production keys are present, so customers are advised to upgrade to BES10.2 to keep a mix of production and trial keys working together.

There are no cancellations, refunds, reimbursements or auto renewals for the annual license offering once the license has been claimed. An invoice is only sent to the partner once the license has been claimed by the customer.

32. How does the wireless carrier know when a license is claimed? Is the claimant identified in any invoice that is provided to the carrier?

The carrier will receive a bill once the customer has claimed the license. BlackBerry will not identify the customer/end-user explicitly in the invoice sent to the carrier.

33. Can a Wireless Carrier cancel/suspend a license on behalf of a user before the year is due? If so, how will BlackBerry handle account credits?

A license cannot be suspended or put on hold. A customer will not be invoiced for a license that has been ordered until it has been claimed, but once a license has been claimed, it cannot be returned or refunded.

34. If a customer adds a device mid-month, is the charge pro-rated?

No, pro-ration does not apply to the annual license offer. Each annual license will expire one year from the date that the license is claimed. 

Did someone help you? Click Like! Did a post solve your issue? Click Accept as Solution!

Follow me on Twitter or Google+ and subscribe to the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog