Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
ccal12
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter - Experiences ?

We are looking to migrate approx 2400 users from two BES 4.x servers with a common SQL 2K database to two new BES 5.x servers with a new SQL 2K5 database.

Minimizing downtime is important and I'm weighing the options of using the transporter tool in bulk mode vs moving users in groups based on our 3 IT policies.

I know that the tool will perform the transport of 5 users at once and in my testing of moving a few users, takes about 5 min for the first group of 5 to finish. Other than that, I haven't of course tested a bulk move and wanted to hear from anyone with experiences in either type. If you have any tips/suggestions or comments to add, please feel free.

Thanks,
Chris
New Contributor
cczech

Re: BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter - Experiences ?

[ Edited ]
I've migrated about 50 users thus far with no issues, have another 200 to go.  A handful of users have seen an hour glass when migrating, but other than that, it's been seemless.
Message Edited by cczech on 08-03-2009 04:13 PM
Contributor
birz

I have moved 160 users from a BES 4.1.6 to a new BES 5.0 on a new SQL server as well without any major issues. The only problem so far is sometimes I have to resend the service books after the migration process, to have the MDS activated on the handheld.
Contributor
birz

I forgot to mention that I have put a checkmark in the "trigger slow sync" box in the transporter window to make it work.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

So far I would say that I have had mostly positive expierances with it. I've used it in two very large enterprise level transfers, and tested it very throughly over I'd say the last 6 months or so. I would have to say that I'm very impressed with this tool seeing as we have asked for it for years now. Obviously keep a backup of everything, but RIM support on this is great as well.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
bonepony

I am also about to move from one BES pair to another using Transporter and have a question also.  Before you actually run Transporter, there is a "simulation" move that will reveal any problems that you are going to have during the actual transfer.  Some of my users have a message about "SlowSync" beside them.  What problems will this cause in the move?
Regular Contributor
Shamrock

Don't use it on any devices that are running OS version 4.3.
New Contributor
clf1024
My Device: 8830 curve world edition

I've got about 30 devices that are running device OS 4.3 or lower.  What are the issues, that I may face when I run the transporter tool to move them from BES 4.1.5.2.6 to BES 5.02 in a Domino 8.1 Environment?

Is is just possible reactivation and possible duplication of the address book?

New Contributor
jjbova
My Device: 9000

We are still in thr process of migrating. I have been doing between 50-80 users a day. The only issue I have seen is about 5% of our users loose activation and we have to reactivate them, but I have not narrowed this down to the transporter tool, or if it's a problem with thier desktop. But over all the actual transport tool seems to work great.

New Contributor
Squire_rk
My Device: Z10

Hi,

just migrated 175 Users today with the Transporter. Beside of 3 user devices which have to be reactivated - no issues.

Regards

Rob

BES 5 // BES 10 // Exchange 2010 // Exchange 2013