Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry WIFI questions

Hello together,

hope you can help me to understand these things.

We are running BES 5.0.3. I want to set up my BB Clients to use WI-FI when they are in company to save costs.

What is the best practise for that?

I have in mind this way. But I am not sure if this is correct.

Keep WIFI always enabled on device. (via Policy?),

Create a WIFI Profile on BES.

Assign user/group to WIFI Profile on BES.

Connect device automatically to WIFI network (setted in the WIFI profile) if available.

Use WIFI Network for BES services if WIFI network is available and device  is connected.

I would like to understand also a few other things:

1)Is there any policy setting which keeps WIFI always enabled? Or does the user needs to enable and disable it manualy?

2) Is it possible that the device automatically connects if WIFI is available? I have created a profile and successfully deployed to device. But it does not connect automatically.

3)Weather device connects automaticaly. Does the device uses WIFI to communicate the BES Services (incoming/ outgoing mail etc.)? I mean: The user of course does not disable the provider network connection. So how the device knows to use WIFI when it has the option between operator network an WIFI? Is there any place where you can set up priorities?

Thanks in advance

HaPe

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BlackBerry WIFI questions

I find it best to use devices on OS 6. OS 6 will use wifi first for almost all conenctions.

OS 5 can do it to some extent, but the browser has to be locked down to do it and not everything will function after. most will work, but it is a pain to configure and users wont be happy.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de

Re: BlackBerry WIFI questions

Thanks for quick response