Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
SODriscoll
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

BlackBerry World - Work not loading "Public Apps"

Hi,

I asked a few BlackBerry people at the BEF Vancouver yesterday about this but they weren't too sure. Basically, the "Public Apps" tab in BlackBerry Wolrd - Work never actually loads. It basically sits there forever only showing the loading circle (see image). This issue applies to all Z10 devices activated in our BES 10 environment. 

https://www.box.com/s/uoy9tgbdinn26obwyiut

I have tried adding/removing different apps from the App World, creating/applying different software configurations and stuff like that. My understanding is the Public Apps is simply a whitelist of applications to be placed in the Work Space so I am unsure what else can be done at my end to resolve this problem?

Thanks for reading!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
javajunkee
My Device: Blackberry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BlackBerry World - Work not loading "Public Apps"

this may be related, though the symptoms sound different -

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Service-10/Blackberry-World-Work-can-t-...

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.3 MR 8 (Bundle 256)
-Server 2008 SP2 64-bit Standard (ESX 4)
Exchange 2010 SP2
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SODriscoll

Hi,

Thanks for replying! I did see that thread... The difference being that the list of applications never loads to begin with. We also have dozens of Z10s deployed, as the issue occurs on every device I have checked. I performed a security wipe on a test device but it did not resolve the issue.

Again, I was told by Blackberry people that it's simply a whitelist of applications which are meant to be used in the work space, so it would be nice to locate some documentation as to how it all really works. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
javajunkee
My Device: Blackberry 8900

[ Edited ]

Sharing my experiance, which I have working now - 

I initially found it a bit convoluted with the instruction to "Enter the URL from BlackBerry World."

Well which URL? The description page? The Download button? Is there a URL printed on the app description page? Does this URL magically fill the input field when you click  and browse the BlackBerry World using the link that is right next to the input field? Oh and good luck trying to figure which apps are ported Android or Java apps (will not work in the Work space) and those that are natively written for Blackberry10 (which do work in the Work space). Anyway, I digress . . . 

So I finally figured you need to browse to the app description page (which by the way renders a blank view), and copy the URL from the browser address field. I found no other way to do this. Then paste the address into the BlackBerry World URL field and click next. An example URL for the Top 'Rated Alarm' Clock app (I removed the http as I didn't want to create a link below):

appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/68966/?lang=en_us&countrycode=US

You'll know immediately if the app is a ported Android or Java app as it will fail with the error: "The specified application could not be published. Java and Android applications are not supported. Please correct the entry."

Yay! Would have been nice if it stated this somewhere in the app description before I tried to add it.

If you locate a native Blackberry 10 app, such as USA Today -

appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/22054315/?lang=en_us&countrycode=US

You'll see it resolve correctly, showing the Application Name, Description, Type (may be blank), Vendor and most importantly Location, which should say BlackBerry World. You can then publish the app.

After publishing four apps, ESPN ScoreCenter, NYTimes For BlackBerry 10, The Weather Network and USA Today, they still would not show up in the Public Apps area on the Blackberry 10 device.

I found I needed to create a Software configuration and add these apps. Then apply this software configuration to the user on BDS. Voila! The apps now appear in the Public Apps section. That last step may be in the documentation and I just missed it.

Oh, but wait!

On the Blackberry, hitting the app download button did absolutely nothing. The button would dim, but the download would not proceed.

According to KB33705 –

Resolution - “This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.”

Workaround – “Performing a security wipe of the BlackBerry 10 smartphone has been determined to provide relief from this issue.”

I performed a security wipe from the device, removed the device entry from my profile on BDS, re-activated and now I can download apps from the Public Apps area on the Blackberry.

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.3 MR 8 (Bundle 256)
-Server 2008 SP2 64-bit Standard (ESX 4)
Exchange 2010 SP2
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SODriscoll

Thanks again for the detailed reply. I do understand the how of adding URLs from BlackBerry World, applying it to a software configuration and applying said software configuration to a user and how it errors out if you try to add a Java app etc.

I don't get quite as far as you. The list of applications doesn't appear in the first place, it's just a perpetual loading screen. In the MDAT log I can see a connection is being made from the device to appworld.blackberry.com but it's very unclear to me what if any dependency this function has on our BDS and why it affects all of our devices. The Blackberry people explained the process of adding App World apps to a software configuration is simply a whitelist that is actually applied through the Blackberry infrastructure and does not make a call back to our BDS.

The only thing I can think of is that connection to appworld.blackberry.com may be running through our proxy being part of the work space so I am going to find out if that is the case.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SODriscoll

Just to update anyone that happens to read this with a similar issue, turns out it was our proxy server not caring for the unauthenticated redirect. Creating an exemption for our BDS servers fixed the problem. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marissa32
My Device: Z10

I am running into same problem.  Software config created, apps added, but it clocks at the My World.  

How do create an exepmtion for the BDS servers?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rol801
My Device: Torch 9810 Z10 Q10 Q5 A10
My Carrier: PCCW

[ Edited ]

Do you mean BDS have to allow access internet directly instead of using proxy server. How about work browser configuration in your BDS ? Because i've deploy BDS in corporate network 2 days ago which requires proxy server to connects to internet (authentication not require for proxy ) and same issue encountered.
App World in Work Perimeter completely empty...

however, i have another BDS in lab environment , also BDS services also configure with proxy profile. But this BDS server works.... Z10 able to access App World in Work Perimeter.. but hit issue in KB33075

full of bugs in BDS now.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SODriscoll

Hi guys,

From my understanding, any internet-bound requests sent through the work perimeter go through the BDS server, so if you have a proxy server in place that applies to your server VLANs there may be some action required; as in our organization's case. 

We use a Bluecoat proxy in our environment, and instead of a blanket rule on the proxy or firewall excluding the BDS servers from being filtered, we wanted something a bit more granular. The following Bluecoat KB lead us in the right direction: https://kb.bluecoat.com/index?page=content&id=KB4501&actp=RSS

The article above does not specifically mention BlackBerry devices, but it did provide a clue on what to do. Basically we created a web authentication layer rule on the Bluecoat proxy that amounts to: 'do not authenticate HTTP connections from the BDS servers if the user-agent is AppWorld'

Hope this helps somebody.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rol801
My Device: Torch 9810 Z10 Q10 Q5 A10
My Carrier: PCCW

[ Edited ]

After a numbers of device wipe... at least 4 times..

finally can download apps from work perimeter which Z10 connects to test BDS..

regarding to your information.. here's a bit different..

since proxy in lab network just a squid , simple provide credential then able to access, and i use it for traffic checking from squid logs...

but later on, still require to clarification to the configuration in the proxy server in corporate network.... because it works for a while then failure after few hours time...

Please use plain text.