Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 10.1 server ActiveSync question

Hello

I was about to delve into the ActiveSync setup of the Blackberry 10.1 and then add a phone for testing. I had a few quick -- probably easy -- questions

Current setup is that the Blackberry services runs on one Windows 2008 R2 x64 server and the database is on a separate machine - Windows 2008 R2 x64 with SQL 2008 SP3.

I have put rules on the firewall to allow the Blackberry server to properly communicate to the outside world and given the server a static IP address.  The server does not have an outside world public IP address NAT'ed to it at this time.

So my questions:

1. Do I need an outside IP address for this server?  The documentation wasn't clear or I missed it.

2. I have attempted to setup the APN certificate and I have added it to the machine by right-clicking the cert and adding it but the test fails. Need to post logs, where could I find those?

3.  I also need to run the powershell commands listed in the documentation for ActiveSync. If this goes poorly can I remove those settings?

4. Do I also need a public facing SSL cert and register a new domain name for this server? The documentation wasn't clear or I missed it.

I think that's it for now.  Integration with existing 5.0.4 BES server went well and my boss is going to order a new BB 10 phone so we can test that side of things too.  Might even grab my wife's Playbook and test it.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: Blackberry 10.1 server ActiveSync question

Hello jlf175,

Thank you for your question regarding BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 version 10.1.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. As of BES 10.1 you do not need an outside IP address and server does not have to be publicly facing. The server does still need access to port 3101, like in BES 5.0 and below.

2. Once everything was completed in the UDS BAS page, did you import that .pfx into the Certificate store under the Personal store? Logs for this test can be found in the 2 below locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10\Logs\Core

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10\Logs\RIM.UDS.GUI

3. The settings that you would be running for Exchange ActiveSync are for Gatekeeping I assume? Those are not required but they are an option if you want to use that feature.

4. You no longer need a public facing certificate. Everything run over port 3101 for activations on UDS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

1. Great!

2. This is now working. Had a firewall issue which corrected my APN issue.  That's registered and working now.

3. I did setup those settings without any problem, thanks.

4. This makes me wonder though when setting up an iOS or Android phone don't those phones ask for a server name?  If so, wouldn't that server name need to be a public reachable server either via IP or URL. Right now my Blackberry 10.1 server is strictly internal just like my older BES server.  Blackberry phones are of course no sweat to register, just enter the email address and PIN.   The reason I need to be 100% clear on this is that if ActiveSync requires some sort of public facing IP or URL then I have to move those services to another server in our DMZ.

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: O2

The current release of BES 10.1 requires that the ActiveSync server is public facing, i.e. direct device to ActiveSync server communication.  The next release (Ver. 10.1.1 I am told) which is promised for 25 June will allow indirect iOS & Android communication to ActiveSync.

Trusted Contributor

Hello LoneWolf902,

I have BES10.1 and Exchange 2007 sp2.

I can successfully activate Z10 device.

I have generated APNs certificate request and get certificate from Apple . When I try to activate Android or iPhone device, the certificate link from activation email doesn't work (https://ca.bbsecure.com/C#########/ca):

1) What common name I should use when I create APNs certificate request for Apple?

Should it be server BES 10.1 FQDN or mail.domain.com from SSL certificate for regular ActiveSync\OWA

2) When Android or iPhone try to download certificate, are they going to download them directly from my BES10.1 server? How can I check why they can't download certificate?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

I don't believe a public facing IP address is necessary on the BB10 server.  Mine does not have one and it's working fine.  In my case, I could not get our first Z10 phone to work with the BB 10 software due to the carrier not setting the right plan on the employee's phone. That was corrected over the weekend and things are running fine for that person now. 

Trusted Contributor

Hello jlf175,

Did you activate Android and iPhone devices on you BES10.1?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

No not yet. I do have that piece installed though and Universal Device Service appears to be functioning properly with communication occurring between the BB 10.1 server and our Exchange server.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 2
My Carrier: local

I have this setting

Bes10.1.2 --> connect to --> Lotus Traveler --> Internet

Questions:

1) Anyone is given the access to BES10 can use IOS or Android to connect to Lotus Traveler through ActiveSync. If I disable ActiveSync in Lotus Traveler, can the BB users connected to BES10 receive emails?

2) If the above is no, how can I prevent users from connecting to Lotus Traveler through ActiveSync? Because if user connect through ActiveSync I can't manage the users.

Please advice.

Thank you.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

cykoh wrote:

I have this setting

Bes10.1.2 --> connect to --> Lotus Traveler --> Internet

Questions:

1) Anyone is given the access to BES10 can use IOS or Android to connect to Lotus Traveler through ActiveSync. If I disable ActiveSync in Lotus Traveler, can the BB users connected to BES10 receive emails?

2) If the above is no, how can I prevent users from connecting to Lotus Traveler through ActiveSync? Because if user connect through ActiveSync I can't manage the users.

Please advice.

Thank you.

1 no

2 remove active sync rule from your external firewall

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V