Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
richmonk
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can I run two BB's on different BES servers?

Hi All,

In the process of testing BES10/Z10 and currently have one foot in each of the BESx and BES10 worlds.

Is it possible to have my Bold 9900 running on my BESx server and my Z10 running on my BES10 server and have them both access the same AD account?

I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask.

Cheers,

Ken

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can I run two BB's on different BES servers?

I am doing that now.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
richmonk

Woohoo!  Now so am I!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

welcome

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
richmonk

Just to expand this scenario...

Can a user, with a single sim card, move the card back and forth between the z10 and the bold without having to do an enterprise activation each time?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
johnnyuk
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64GB, Curve 9380
My Carrier: EE and O2 UK

The first problem you'd hit is that a Z10 device uses a micro sized sim card where BB OS.7.1 and earlier devices use a normal sized sim card, so they don't fit.

It is possible to physically trim a normal sized sim card down to micro sim size and there may well be adapters you could use to make a micro sim fit an older device but the next problem you'd hit is that BB OS 7.1 or earlier devices requires a BES data plan on the sim card for Enterprise Activation or a BIS data plan for BES Express activation) while the Z10 needs a normal data plan just like an Android, iOS or Windows Phone device.

I've read of Z10's working with a sim card taken from an older Blackberry still on a BES / BIS data plan but I haven't tried it myselfy.

OS 7.1 and older devices certainly won't work for BES data on a sim card provisioned for only for non-BES/BIS data devices such as BB10, iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

While it is technically possible for a sim card to be provisioned with both a BES/BIS data plan and a normal data plan at the same time I doubt that any carriers would sell that kind of setup as a product or support it.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

richmonk wrote:

Just to expand this scenario...

Can a user, with a single sim card, move the card back and forth between the z10 and the bold without having to do an enterprise activation each time?

Activation is not affected by swappign SIM cards.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
richmonk

Thanks Knotty,

The micro sim card I have has a 'carrier' that it comes with that will fit into a bold, so it's all good!

Please use plain text.