Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TIM Italy
Accepted Solution

Can a damage BES account drain a device battery?

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I've started a topic called Battery drains very fast in the Blackberry Bold board, but since the case is very odd and BES in involved, I'm continueing a parallel thread here, of course focused on BES.

As you can read in that thread, a user has tried with 3 different devices, 2 different sim cards, 3 different batteries and still the battery drains very fast. I've used his bb with my BES account, and no weird behaviour occurs, so I thought it was a BES matter.

I then deleted his BES account, recreated and activated the device, but the problem persists. Tried also to resend IT policies (he has the same as me and of many other colleagues), but still...

Do you have any clue, please?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can a damage BES account drain a device battery?

search the BES logs and and report back any findings

you might have a user with excessive syncs or a corrupt mailbox.

default location :\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerryEnterprise Server\Logs

Also look in event veiwer to seef if any errors or warnings pertain to your issue

Please post back the log info minus personal info

to isolate an affected user on a static messaging agent , then look for the MAGT log for that agent (while trying to send/receive messages). The format you'll be looking for is:

BESName_MAGT_##_yyyymmdd_####.txt

Where the first pair of digits are the Agent ID you set.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hello knottyrope and thanks for the reply. Here what I've found:

From the logs:

I haven't found any entry which is much different from the other users. The occurrences of the various sync types (messages, memos, calendar...) are, in number, the same as the other users. This means about 45-50 each in 17h30m, and I've cross compared with other users

It mighe be not worth, but the total occurrences of this user's e-mail address in today log are not even the highest of all our colleagues.
As an example, here the last events for this user between 17:26:26.247 and 17:29:08.495 (3 minutes):

Batching OTAFM MESSAGE_STATUS_UPDATE command for RefId=-1069459867, status=1, TransactionID=-807974246
2 OTAFM commands sent in batch for TransactionId=-807974246, Tag=1129259, size=59
SubmitToRelaySendQ, Tag=1129259
Starting Address Book rescan
No changes detected, rescan complete (type=Address Book)
Starting Tasks rescan
No changes detected, rescan complete (type=Tasks)
Starting Memos rescan
No changes detected, rescan complete (type=Memos)
Starting calendar rescan
MAPIMailbox::smileyvery-happy:oICS ICS Synch Successful
Calendar rescan completed
OTAFM batch has been DELIVERED to device, Tag=1129259
Updating messages in OTAFM batch, TransactionID=-807974246
Starting message rescan due to rescan timer
Message rescan completed

Do you see anything strange?

Other events:

User Stats - Msgs: Latency 7s, Sent/Min 0, Received/Min 0

StateDb stats: cache hit=85% (17/20), coverage=100%, searches=3/20

From server event viewer:

• SYNC-DSession] Duplicate UID(xxxx) found in the packet from device. [username:76, DS=쳃쳌쳌쳌쳌쳌 and several other squares
  • GetContactPicture - No picture synced, data too large

...but this happened yesterday: today there weren't no logs for this user.

I'm in the deepest darkness, and also today I've used the device he used to have till yesterday, and it behaves normally, whilst he had to recharge the device twice and it's full of spinning black clocks.

Thanks for the help!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

What OS are you on? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Battery pull has been tried several times, unsuccessfully. It has been done also about one hour ago, when a phone call dropped, the phone was stuck and the black clock was running.

I don't have the device here now, I can do that tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident it's 9780/6.0.0.570, which is the latest available from out carrier (TIM Italy).

The BES cause is what I'm thinking the most, considering that everything changed with that user except his AD profile and Exchange mailbox.

I've deleted and recreated it, but tomorrow I will try delete the user and remove the bb info from the server, wipe it, create a brand new BES user linked to his AD user and activate the device. I'll keep you updated.

Guru III
My Device:

when you get the device back

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Contributor

Probably you got the key, knottyrope: CPU was absolutely high with "Phone" application. I mean, last week CPU was assigned to "Phone" for 2d14h, yesterday for 21h22m and today (now it's 9.30am) for >7h. I've checked with several other users, who makes a lot of calls, and CPU for last week has a value between 2 and 12m per week.

I'm tending to exclude it's a faulty module since it might be the cause also for the last 2 devices, one of them also wiped and reinstalled from scratch, but it could be rather a corrupted db. In fact, every time I've changed the device I've restored a previous backup of it, so the possibile corrupted db might have been passed to the new device. What I've done right now is wiping the device (a normal wipe, not an OS-eraser one) and re-initialize the bb without restoring a previous backup: this way, the option of a corrupted db should be avoided (I hope!). By the way, the activation completed with "Address book wasn't totally synchronized".

I keep this thread updated with the results.

PS: just to update, no special theme is used and all the apps are properly closed. Storage compression was enabled, but now I've disabled it for testing purposes.

Guru III
My Device:

Glad you found that high CPU, some times it takes some digging.

Let us know how it goes.

Contributor

I'm very glad to inform that the problem has been solved! It must have been a corrupted database which forced the phone module to consume a lot of CPU. After an activation from scratch (it not restoring a previous backup set) the problem hasn't occurred anymore.

Thanks for the tip, knottyrope!

Guru III
My Device:

your welcome and gald to have helped out