Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
squishmike
My Device: Curve 9300

Can't activate Blackberries when UDS licenses expire

Ran into an interesting problem today with BES10 which doesn't make much sense at all to me.

We were running a trial of the UDS along with our regular set of Z10/Q10s. We have 150 normal corporate licenses for our Blackberries and then however many UDS trial licenses.

Well at some point over the weekend the UDS licenses expired and we still had 1 Android activated (not really in use though). 

So today we tried activating some new Z10s and kept getting an error along the lines of "Cannot activate because the organization does not have any available licenses". Which I knew was total BS as we are only using like 8 of 150 corporate EMM licenses.

Long story short, I eventually found my way into the licensing server and saw it complaining about the 1 activated UDS device but with expired licenses. Deleted the Android off the UDS and tried activating the Z10s again, this time it worked.

The logic behind this doesn't make any sense and should be changed. Why wouldn't I be able to activate normal Blackberries using our fully active Corporate EMM licenses if our UDS licenses happen to be expired? It should only return that error when trying to activate an Android/iPhone/etc.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: Can't activate Blackberries when UDS licenses expire

Hello squishmike,

Thank you for your question regarding BES 10.1 licenses. 

The logic behind it is that everything will continue to work even if you out of compliance (low on licenses) the only thing you cannot do is activate devices until you are back in compliance. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
squishmike
My Device: Curve 9300

I understand that, however you are missing the point. Blackberry handhelds use different licenses than UDS handhelds (Android or iPhones). If my UDS licenses expire why am I prevented from activating BLACKBERRIES? They are two completely different things.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there is only one license service that looks at both

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.