Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
Nightwalker
My Device: Mostly 8900s
My Carrier: Vodafone

Can't create administrator account to use Active Directory authentication.

Hi,

I have an issue creating administrator accounts that I have not been able to resolve, I have done plenty of Googling but the answer has so far eluded me. When I try and create an administrator account in BAS to use Active Directory authentication the account creation always fails and I get a message in red text in the browser saying “The request could not be completed“. If I add an admin account with BAS authentication I can create it with no problem. I have previously added admin accounts with AD authentication when setting up my BES 5 servers and it worked ok, but for some reason I can no longer get it to work.

Version: 5.0.4, Bundle 38

SQL Server 2008 (remote)

Exchange 2010

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightwalker

Re: Can't create administrator account to use Active Directory authentication.

I have got a bit further with this.

The admin accounts I already created in BAS were for the second line support team, these created fine with AD authentication. The problem came when trying to create admin accounts in BAS for the first line support in the Junior Helpdesk Role. These accounts kept failing to create. I can add other users that have higher levels of access over Active Directory, the first line guys have AD accounts that are little more than a standard AD user account. It seems there must be a permission required in Active Directory for an administrative user to be created in BAS. I don't know exactly what permission that is yet, but adding admin users in BAS with AD accounts that have higher than normal AD permissions and AD authentication works, adding ordinary AD users into BAS as an administrative user with AD authentication fails, only BAS authentication works when creating these users.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lexios
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: MTN CY

I have almost the exact same problem but with a different error message:

Administrator password contains an invalid entry

This error appears irrelevant of what AD account I am trying to add.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nightwalker

I never really got to the bottom of the issues in my enviroment. I was able to add all my second line support to BAS with AD authentication but ended up adding my first line support with BAS authentication. I had to move onto other things, so this seemed to do. My second line guys have just short of Domain Admin in AD and Security Admin in BAS. First line are ordinary AD users and Junior Helpdesk in BAS. I did use complex passwords for the BAS authenticated users.

Just had a thought, are you entering in the administrator password box when creating a new account the password of the account you have logged into BAS with? (your BesAdmin account or similar?)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lyooba
My Device: Q10 + Z10 + Bold 9900 + PB 64 BG
My Carrier: Telenor Serbia

If selecting AD authentication, password field has to contain CURENTLY LOGGED IN's besadmin's password, not of the new new one

Please use plain text.