Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
janmela
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Configure exchange email within Secure Work Space

On BES 10.1.1 are you supposed to be able to connect Android/iOS devices to an exchange server via BES rather than requiring a direct activesync connection from the device to exchange (using secure work spaces)? If so can anyone explain to me how to set it up.

What I've done so far:

- Created an Activesync profile in UDS

- Created a work space and work space policy

- Created a user, assigned the activesync profile, workspace and workspace policy to that user

- Activated the user on an android device, installed all the required apps on the device (BES 10 client, BES10 MGR, Work Connect and DocsToGo)

On the phone I can get into the workspace, when I open the email app within there the username and email address fields are prepopulated, i enter the password for the user and press next, after about 30 seconds it fails with the error "Couldn't open connection to server".

Can anyone point me towards anything I've missed? Why cant this be as straightforward as enterprise activation on a Blackberry device in BES5!

Some more detail about the environment:

Exchange is 2003 SP2

BES version 10.1.1

Activesync profile is configured to use basic authentication

Thanks for any help!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

Re: Configure exchange email within Secure Work Space

Are you able to connect an iOS or Android device to ActiveSync directly without using the BES?

It sounds like you've done everything right up to this point, so it's likely a connectivity issue of some sort.

In order to determine if the BES is part of the problem, try connecting directly to ActiveSync either on your internal WiFi network or externally depending on how you have your environment setup.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kboorgu
My Device: n/a

check if activesync is enabled on the user's mailbox in exchange.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
janmela

I tried connecting on local wifi from the android email client to test the activesync connection and that works so the Exchange/ActiveSync side of things looks to be ok

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

I'd double check the settings in the ActiveSync policy you created in the UDS console to ensure everything is correct. Specifically, the Domain information, Host Name info, and the Use SSL option.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
guerrachristian
My Device: 9360

can you access your exchange server thru the internet?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
janmela

External access to exchange is not allowed, this is one of the main attractions of using BES to handle the interaction with activesync.

I checked the activesync profile and ticked the SSL option, tried to connect again and it worked!

Or so it seemed - initially emails, contacts and calendar synchronised, but since the initial sync no new emails have come through. I can send emails, but new ones are not appearing on the device.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
janmela

I rebooted BES and that seems to have kicked things back into life. I'll report back later on whether emails are still coming through.

I've also now activated an ipad for a different user, exactly the same policies and groups etc assigned as the working android device, and while email setup seems to go ok, when I go into the work space app there are no emails, contacts or calendar entries, although strangely I can send emails from within the work space ok. But this is a different issue to the original post so i will create a new topic for it if I cant figure it out.

Thanks all for your help

Please use plain text.