Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
ClevelandRox
My Device: Will be a Q10
Accepted Solution

Confused on my Upgrade path

IT Manager at a small law firm.

Blackberry Professional Software Version: 4.1.4.3 running on Exchange 2003.

I used to have 7 BB users. Today I have one. He refused iOS and Android devices after trying them and has been nursing his BB 9930. It acts up a lot and the trackball is failing and he is limping along anxiously awaiting the Q10 release on VZW.

I am trying to figure out what I need to do.

Questions:

Can I upgrade my server to BB Pro 10 or do I use Mobile Fusion?

If I upgrade now will it support the 9930 or do I have to wait until he gets his Q10 to do this?

I would like to get everything in place before the Q10 is released.

Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

Re: Confused on my Upgrade path

You need a new Server for BB10 devices (BES10). Old devices cannot connect to BES10. So you have to run a second server for a while.
The question was already asked several times in the forum.

Was my answer helpful? - Like it please!
Did my answer solved your request? - Mark it as solution :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
ClevelandRox

Thanks.

I did look through 10 pages of posts. I didn't see anyone with BPS running on Ex 2003.

So I have to use BES10? There is nothing like BPS anymore?

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

No BPS anymore - if you want a free server you can publish your ActiveSync to the Internet and use plain ActiveSync from the devices - but then you will not have the Work Perimeter on the new devices.
New Contributor
ClevelandRox

Thanks.

We will do Activesynch then. I'm not buying a server for one guy... even if he is the owner. :smileyvery-happy:

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

Well, the server is for free - you only need a Client Access License which is available for ~75$
Regular Contributor
kotji
My Device: Os7.1

ActiveSync to the Internet and use plain ActiveSync from the devices
Regular Contributor
iceguy
My Device: Blackberry Q / Playbook

I think this is the way most users are going to go; just direct ActiveSync connection without BES10.....

Blackberry/RIM seems to be transitioning into a handset manufacturer only, throwing away all their investment in the BB infrastructure, which is their single remaining competitive advantage.

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

Lol - you get so much advantage of the BES for companies. They are not going to through that away.
Regular Contributor
iceguy
My Device: Blackberry Q / Playbook

[ Edited ]

I have installed BES10 in my company.

The only thing that BES 10 seems to do, is to send the Blackberry 10 handset the name of the ActiveSync service (for examples mail.company.com) during setup of the handset as well as allow you to allow you to modify some settings on the handset (approx 10 parameters available).

After this, the emails seem to travel between the handset and the ActiveSync service directely. Just like on an iPhone or Android handset.

The email messages seem not to travel through the Blackberry infrastructure.

Therefore I think that telephone companies will not be offering special roaming rates for Blackberry 10 handsets as the nature of the data traffic that they generate is identical to any other handset.

UPDATE: I seem to be wrong. Check out: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Service-10/BES10-Exchange-2010-and-Acti...