Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
stevewerth
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Disable Balance?

I have looked through the IT policy and supporting documentation, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to disable Balance, if that option even exists.

Problem - with Balance, you can't setup the device NOT to lock after a max time of 60 minutes, from what we've tested.  This is an issue when a user is driving - using voice control through hands free and the device has locked itself (Workspace), voice control will NOT find a contact in the Enterprise list.  Don't ask me how I know.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Disable Balance?

What password policies do you have set in your IT Policy?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stevewerth

[ Edited ]
Password Required for Work SpaceNoSpecify whether a BlackBerry device requires a password for the work space. If More...
Apply Work Space Password to Full DeviceNo (default)Specify whether a BlackBerry device applies the work space password to the full More...
Minimum Password ComplexityNo restriction (default)Specify the minimum complexity of the work space password on the BlackBerry More...
Maximum Password Attempts10Specify the number of times that a BlackBerry device user can enter an More...
Security Timeout60 minutesSpecify the maximum number of minutes of BlackBerry device user inactivity that More..

For the security timeout - if you use the 1st entry which is a blank - it sets the device to 45 minutes, so there does not seem to be a way to remove the lock feature atogether.

Another reason to disable Balance for us, is because you can't set the policy to allow copying of certain text from enterprise to personal acounts, like the signature for example...

BBM is not available under published apps just yet, so you have to move back and forth from Work space to personal.

I find this very encumbering and not productive...

There are more reason for us to disable it, but you get the point....

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Don't get the point - If you could allow to copy from work to personal you don't need work anymore. But you did not create the post to argue about balance :smileywink:
There is currently no way to disable balance, probably this will be introduced in another version of BDS.
For your Handsfree - did you try to set the Policy Personal Apps Access to Work Contacts to Allow (I know its default, but anyway give it a try).
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stevewerth

Yes, I did, but once the device locks the workspace, it locks. Nothing you can do except unlock it...

Not sure why it would not find them in the personal contacts, but it just doesn't.

You are right though...probably not much point in putting the users up on BES, when we could just EAS them.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
taltemeier
My Device: Z10 & Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Disagree. We want to add some OS10 devices to BES10.1 ONLY for management, NOT balance. I think there is no method to just manage the devices and disable balance completly?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer

It is possible since BES10.1, but you need a dataplan for that.
You should contact your service provider for more information
Please use plain text.
Contributor
taltemeier

No, I do NOT want EMM Restricted :-)

I just want EAS + BES10 EMM

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer

If you do not want balance, it is restricted. What you do with the policy set is your choice...
Otherwise just you EAS and use EAS policies. If you do not want to publish EAS use VPN from the devices.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
taltemeier

We have about 30 OS10 devices (despite the 60 "normal" EMM Corporate) that we want to manage through the central BDS infrastructur but WITHOUT Blance, WITHOUT Regulated. We just want to do things like, lock, wipe, - basic EMM funktions, but we do NOT want to connect these devices to an internal ActiveSync service.

These devices are for freelancers that get phones from us but connect to there own mailservers via POP & IMAP.

We only need the possibility to lock and whipe (etc) this devices through central management console but

NO Balance and NO Regulated EMM because wo do not want a) separate EMM Corporate Dataplans b) no restrictions on these devices.

Please use plain text.