Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
rob_smith
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodaphone UK

Emails going to Desktop folder and deleting from main email server

[ Edited ]

I have had my Bold 9900 for about a year. I have about 4 email addresses on there, all of which are set up in Outlook on my PC as well. No probelms at all until recently, when an organisation that i have a lot to do with changed their email handling to an external hosting solution. Since then, all emails from this organisation to my main email address, go straight into the Desktop folder, instead of the folder associated with that email account, and never appear in Outlook at all. My email provider has checked the Server, and they don't appear on the Server at all - it seems that BlackBerry BES just grabs them straight away and prevents them ever reaching my normal email server.

Can anyone shed any light, please - i'm getting a bit desperate as i have a lot to do with this organisation and having to communicate lengthy emails via my BB is not great!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Emails going to Desktop folder and deleting from main email server

It sounds like this device is a on work-related BES enterprise or exchange mail account?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rob_smith

Thanks for your post, J Sanders. Not sure if i fully understand your question - sorry. My email account in question is not on an exchange server, they just go through our website host's server. The account is set up as a POP account in Outlook and was added to my BB via the online vodaphone mobilemail portal. Does that answer your question? Sorry - i'm not massively technical on email routing etc.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

It sounds like to me that your Outlook is downloading and DELETING the messages from your server before they can be captured by BlackBerry BIS and pushed to your device.

Check your Outlook settings for that email account, drill down in the settings to "keep messages on server"

or uncheck "delete on server after download" according to your version of Outlook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rob_smith

Thanks. The problem is the other way round. The emails in question (only those from this one particular organisation) are only coming to my Blackberry, NOT to Outlook. That is the problem.

And on the BB, the emails go into the 'Desktop' folder (BES) instead of the correct folder associated with the email account in question.

Is this clearer?
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep

rob_smith wrote:

And on the BB, the emails go into the 'Desktop' folder (BES) instead of the correct folder associated with the email account in question.

You're on a BES account.

Let me get this thread moved over to the BES section of this forum.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

sounds like the old BES is still running and maybe forwarding the emails.

Are you suing BES now for emails or POP?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rob_smith

Thanks for moving this thread. In case of anyone else now looking at this thread but not seeing the previous posts, i'll just summarise the problem in the context of the BES aspect.

On my Blackberry, i have 4 email accounts set up, all of which are also set up in Outlook on my PC. I am with Vodaphone and setup of email accounts on the BB is done via their online portal. Since getting my BB, there has always been a Desktop folder on there as well which i understand is associated with BES, although i never set that up. I must admit, i don't really understand what the function is of BES.

An organisation that I communicate with has recently moved over to an external hosting solution. Seemingly since then, all emails from anyone at that organisation to my main email address go into the 'Desktop' (BES) folder on my BB, instead of the relevant folder associated with my main email address, and never arrive in Outlook at all. My email provider has checked repeatedly, and these incoming emails don't seem to even reach our server. 

To further complicate the matter, emails from this organisation to another of my email accounts which is loaded on both BB and in Outlook, arrive fine to both BB and Outlook!

Can anyone shed some light? What is the BES (Desktop folder)? Why do i have it on my BB despite not setting it up? Why are these emails from this one provider finding their way in there when all other emails to my email account in question, are going to the correct associated folder? If i could get answers to these questions, i suspect i would be on the way to finding out why the emails are not arriving in Outlook.

Excuse the long post - this is a complex issue and various IT support personnel are getting nowhere in resolving it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rob_smith

Thanks Knotty Rope for your question. I am not knowingly using BES - not really sure how it ever got on there :smileysad: and would quite happily remove it if it resolved the problem - I don't think I need it. It's almost as if BES is somehow grabbing these emails from this particular organisation and deleting them from the normal mail server. Is this possible?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

desktop folder is put on device once you do an enterprise activation, you should be able to see in settings, advanved, enterprise activate and see what email account is used for it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.