Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
NKoenen
My Carrier: IT Ingeneer

Enterprise 4.1 to 5.0

Hello everyone,

I'd recived the new Enterprise 5.0 CD. (Full Version) and i have installed 4.1

Can i Install the full version over the old one?

So i don't need to reconfig the server / don't need to add all the users again.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dpeters11

Re: Enterprise 4.1 to 5.0

The simple answer is that you don't have to redo users or reactivate devices if you do an in place upgrade. However there is a lot to consider when upgrading. Service will be down for a while, and make sure your server and database are ready. Does the BES server have enough memory and cpu to handle both the main BES and the Administration Service (BAS)?

The upgrade is not that bad, but be sure everything is ready on the back end.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Since BES 5.0 is so different, I would set it up all on its own and once tested and running, use transporter to move users over which will not require any activation.

KB17538 - What is the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter

Here is most of the documentation you need will to install and administer the BB 5.0 server:

Server 5.0 Upgrade Paths:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/upgradepath.jsp

Server 5.0 Intsallation Support:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp

Server 5.0 Upgarde guide:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7315/index.jsp?name=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Serve...=

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit Docs and Files

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Ser...

Server 5.0 Admin Tutorial:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7466/flash_start.html

All Server guides:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NKoenen

Thanks alot both of you!

i will read the documentation and i let know when the job is done without any problems. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NKoenen

Hello,

We have upgraded our blackberry server to 5.0 but we got a few problems.

1: The BB Router servers won't automaticly start.

2: The virtual machine is really really slow.

3: When we try to start up the administration services and we log in he doesn't come further than the login screen.

Someone have solutions to our problems?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Need to look into the BES logs for some info on why the router will not start.

default location :\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerryEnterprise Server\Logs

What type of upgrade did you do?

What did you assign to your VM for resources?

Running a local or remote database?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NKoenen

cant see the logs anymore because we did a restore back to 4.1 so the devices are available.

Upgrade with a cd 4.1 to 5.0.0 and after that 5.0.0 to 5.0.1

Local database.

Hee asked us to change the pool so we did change it to v01 put then the admin doesn't work on the v01 (he goes automaticly to v01). and it worked on v07 (only the login screen)

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope

The upgrade comes with free install help. I am not understanding what you mean by pool or v 07.

Are you having issues accessing BAS after the install?

What BES services are running?

Did you run the install as BESAdmin service account?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NKoenen

All the blackberry services where running, i'm not sure which one excactly because the server isn't running anymore on 5.0

Yes we have issues accessing BAS and we did install with the BESadmin service acocunt.

We want to restart the installation again but now the full version so we first need to uninstall the 4.1 version.

Can we export/import the database to 5.0?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope

You can not import or export the database in that way.

Maybe best to install on a new server so you can used to it and debug if needed.

Inplace upgrades can be easy or painfull. I like to start with a new BB Domain and start fresh. Many have issues with upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 to spX and so on. There are lots of old DB info that is not needed any more.

Please use plain text.