Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

My Device: curve
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: High Availability

[ Edited ]
I am kind of stuck here, and I'm hoping for some guidance in the right direction. We have a two server set up on the BES 5.0, one physical(primary), one virtual(standby) and somehow the virtual server got deleted by an admin and that server wasn't on our backup list...great. We had a consultant set up our BES 5.0 high availability, so I had to do some reading, and pretty much got through all the installation and for some reason…none of it matches up to what the consultant did. Here’s the process I went through…I ran the installation using the media, and selected use already configured database….ran through it, and selected install a standby Blackberry Enterprise Server to set up high availability. I went through and everything installed fine…what is puzzling to me is this…in the server view…it doesn’t show the new server…all that is there is Primary physical server and the unavailable virtual server…and not the new server that I just installed. And at the same time, it’s not installing an admin service of its own either…the consultant had the administrative service on both physical and virtual server, but when I went to do the install...it only gave me an option to have it on one server. There is a step I’m missing, I just don’t know where…any help that anyone could provide, even if it’s just a nudge in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Telenor

High Availability: BES 5.0.3 automatic failover problems

I installed BES 5.0.3 pair.

The problem is the server can’t make auto failover.
I turned on automatic BlackBerry Enterprise Server failover on BAS
But i see the following:
Primary wrote:
„Unhealthy Items above the failover threshold line will cause an automatic failover”
Standby wrote:
„All items above the promotion threshold line must be healthy to allow for an automatic failover”

Can you help me?

Where can i see Unhealthy items?

My Device: 9000
My Carrier: 3i

Re: High Availability: BES 5.0.3 automatic failover problems

click on more to find out which component are in red mark.in red mark components are un healthy.

BES Admin
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've searched but can't find an answer to my quick question, once we have an automatic failover from the primary to the standby the failover mode changes to manual so if there is an issue on the standby the service will not fail back to the primary.

Is there a way to keep the failover mode at automatic?

My Device: Enterprise BES
My Carrier: O2

Hi there; We've a BES 5.0.3 HA implementation in progress, in particular HA BES and HA Attach. (Remote attachment)

We've also got a segmented architecture where the BES servers and ATTACH servers are on two separate subnets (BES SEPARATE FROM ATTACH).

We've tested attachments when moving one of the attach servers to the same subnet as the BES servers which works as promised however when moving to a separate network segment - error message "Attachment Server is Busy" when viewing an attachment on a device.

We have provided connectivity proofs to our contractors including showing that ports 1900 and 2000 have got tcp established to the BES server. We have also manually tested using the tool directly from BES to ATTACH which works perfectly. 

We have ensured there are no firewall rules blocking traffic in the way (have tried IP ANY ANY) and ensured windows firewall not enabled (taken care of by actual firewall).

We have run a Wireshark sniff on the packets and seen some strage multicast join packets from each side (from BES and from ATTACH).

Our query is : does anyone know how the HA services work, do the servers use a "multicast join group"  request to announce that they're there? If we know how it works perhaps we could find out how to make it work on our required segmented architecture. 

We keep getting asked if the ports are open (1900,2000), and have proven that they have. 

Thanks in advance.

My Device: BOLD 9000
My Carrier: MoviStar

I have a good question for BlackBerry (aka RIM) Support. If someone decides to use an HA product like NeverFail how does one move the cert from the UDS server on the primary side to the secondary side without having to apply for a second cert whcih would really mess things up?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Why asking that BlackBerry and not the HA product vendor?
BlackBerry will deliver HA in an upcoming version and for UDS you currently do not even need HA. If UDS is down you cannot manage the device anymore but the device is able to sync (cause it does not use UDS for synchronization).
Find more information about Enterprise Mobility Management at EMMAdmin.com