Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Q10/Z10/Z30 10.2.1.2102
My Carrier: Swisscom
Accepted Solution

How migrate BES 5.0.2 to a brand new AD?

Hello,

we have a BES 5.0.2 running over our SBS2003 Server and we want now to move all our users to our new AD in 2008 with Exchange 2010. Is it an easy way to move the server without reactivating all the users?

Shall we do everything from a blank server or is it a way to export, reimport users, keys, softwares, BES rules etc? or maybe simply change 2-3 settings in server to make it point to the new exchange server in the new AD?

What would be the best practice?

Poy

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: How migrate BES 5.0.2 to a brand new AD?

is it in the same exchange org? if no the wipe and activate on new server willbe needed.

BES 5.0 supports an Exchange Resource Forest configuration.

Good article on Exchange resource forest config
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998031.aspx

Multiple AD forests should be ok as long as

1) There is a two way trust between them
2) They are all within the same Exchange organization

Once all consolidated only one service account is needed but you would be better off with 3 even if it means paying for Exchange/User CALs for them. If the exchange server that has the service account goes down then any of the other servers using it will not work as well.

If yes to first top question then you are OK.

only BES 5 will support excahnge 2010, so an upgrade will be in order.

Since BES 5.0 is so different, I would set it up all on its own and once tested and running, use transporter to move users over which will not require any activation

Here is most of the documentation you need will to install and administer the BB 5.0 server:

Server 5.0 Upgrade Paths:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/upgradepath.jsp

Server 5.0 Intsallation Support:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp

Server 5.0 Upgarde guide:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7315/index.jsp?name=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Serve...=

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit Docs and Files

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Ser...

Server 5.0 Admin Tutorial:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7466/flash_start.html

All Server guides:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

Then when you are done with the above follow this one.

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hi and thanks for your reply

There is a New AD with a New Exchange server 2010. All new, all the users a recreated, everything from start.

so what do you mean by wipe and activating on the new server? you mean, the devices have to be wiped and reactivated on a new BES ???

Kind Regards,

David

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

yup

Contributor

[ Edited ]

ouch.... It's gonna take me a while to do that.... :smileysad:((

thanks for the reply. Is it any other suggestions by any chance?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you should warn user to backup their device and do selective restore of items missed.

this has to be done to remove the encryption key on the Device so it will work on the new BES

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Ok thanks for the info

but now what about the BES Server? can I conitnue using the BES 5.0.2 existing or shall I create a new one???

Kind Regards,

David

Guru III
My Device:

You will need to make a new one for the new domain.

you cant use the same SRP on both. maybe you could use a trial SRP and then replace the current SRP after

trials can come in 20 user and higher if you call RIm for it.

Guru III
My Device:

this should help if you do the trial bit

How to update the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from an evaluation version to a production version