Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Globe

How to Manage 2 BES using 1 BAS

Hi there!

Would like to ask if this is possible.

We will add another BES in our company (will use the same database (remote) so it would be easier to move BES users from one BES to another - is this also correct ? :smileyhappy: )

Our existing BAS service is installed on another host. is it possible to use this same BAS to manage the new BES?

And any inputs if this setup is ok?

Many thanks in advance!! :smileyhappy:

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Re: How to Manage 2 BES using 1 BAS

If you connect to the same database: BAS will recognize the new BES, you have nothing to do there.
But when you say the new BES is remote to the DB, make sure not to have a BAS that is too far away from the database (not mre than 120ms)
------------------------------
Find more information about Enterprise Mobility Management at EMMAdmin.com
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Oliwer! :smileyhappy:

So this means that I will only use 1 BAS to manage users/applications on all BES servers if I use the same database?

Another question though, using the same database on two BES, would it mean the setup is HA? or these two BES servers will run in parallel to each other (active-active).

I'm also trying to install the second server using the existing database but gives me error:

.. Before you install a remote BES component or a standby BES, you must install an active Blackberry Enterprise Server with a Blackberry configuration database

Does this mean I need to install first using a local database then change to the existing database after installation?

Many thanks to all!

Forums Advisor I

edwintg wrote:

Thanks for the reply Oliwer! :smileyhappy:

So this means that I will only use 1 BAS to manage users/applications on all BES servers if I use the same database?

Another question though, using the same database on two BES, would it mean the setup is HA? or these two BES servers will run in parallel to each other (active-active).

You only need one BAS to manage all the staff, thats right.

And this is no HA setup unless you say this is a standby server (which has to be configured during install, thats an active-standby scenario).

When you have active-active (and it sounds like you are going to that) there is no automated load balancing or failover - you have to move users by yourself.

edwintg wrote:

I'm also trying to install the second server using the existing database but gives me error:

.. Before you install a remote BES component or a standby BES, you must install an active Blackberry Enterprise Server with a Blackberry configuration database

Does this mean I need to install first using a local database then change to the existing database after installation?

Don't install a local db if you have remote sql server.

You also do not want to install remote BES components or a standby BES!

Start the installation from the beginning, choose to use an existing database and install a BES without BAS.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Oliwer! You're the man! :smileyhappy:

ok will start again the installation..

sorry another question. if you have two or mores BES, does your BAS needs to be a remote? or you could the BAS on another BES?

Thanks!

Forums Advisor I

Can also be an a BES, but needs to be close to the database.