Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: iPhone 4S

Is Lotus Notes Traveler interfering with my UDS IT Policies?

I am the (BES and) UDS administrator, but I have nothing to do with the Notes Traveler server.  Our email admin did all of that and I've never touched it.

I have UDS completely up and running now and it's working great, except I'm not able to get my IT Policy settings to apply on my iOS devices.  Haven't started on Droid yet.  I can actually see the settings as I've set them, in the Mobile Fusion Client IT Policies screen.  Every setting is displayed just as I've set it on the UDS console.

But in the settings of the device, there are different parameters than what I've set.  For example, password prompt grace keeps getting set to 15 minutes no matter what I do in the console.  I was starting to thing UDS was buggy until I uninstalled the app and removed the profiles, started over with my iPhone, and then discovered all my settings were exactly as I'd specified right up until the point where I configured the mail profile to connect to the Lotus Notes Traveler server.

Is it possible that the connection to the Traveler server is doing an override on the security settings I set in UDS?  If I'd installed the Traveler profile as we've been doing for users while I get UDS up and running I can certainly understand that, but is Traveler capable of sending security settings to my device simply because I'm connecting to it for email?

I want to talk to the Notes admin about this, but I want a reality check before I go in there making demands.  This seems like a good theory to me, it just doesn't make any sense.  Configuring an iPhone to connect to a mail server shouldn't allow the mail server to determine what your security settings are, should it?

Regular Contributor

Re: Is Lotus Notes Traveler interfering with my UDS IT Policies?

Turns out MY ipad was on UDS, but I had not yet provided a password for Traveler.  I think I interrupted myself while testing this theory, right before I proved it:

Before providing my email password to the Notes Traveler mail account settings, here's what I have for settings:

Auto-Lock: 2 minutes or 5 minutes

Passcode Lock: Turn Passcode Off.  Require passcode: Immediately, after 1, 5, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours

Safari: Accept cookies - Never.  That's my only option

Then I went into the mail settings and gave it my password for Notes Traveler.  The passcode lock settings changed:

Passcode Lock: Turn passcode off is now greyed out, and Require Passcode can only be set to Immediately, or after 1, 5, 15 mintues.

The only thing I did was provide my password to Notes Traveler, so that's GOT to be where these settings are coming from, right?!  But if that's the case, why are some of the settings still different between my UDS ipad and his Traveler ipad?!  grraaahhhhhh!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Is Lotus Notes Traveler interfering with my UDS IT Policies?

Excuse me while I just turn this into my personal Blog.....OF PAIN!!!  :-)

So, no surprise, there's a typo in the UDS profile editing screen.  The DISABLE COOKIES dropdown should actually be labeled ENABLE COOKIES because that's what it does.  I thought that was a pretty backwards logic they had going on in there....why would I want to disable cookies from visited websites or always?  What's the difference?  Well, it should have been a dead giveaway that when I selected NEVER, NEVER was the only option I ever had on my device.  I changed "disable cookies" to "from visited" and sure enough, a second later on my iPhone, I finally got Safari to accept cookies from visited websites.

QA, RIM?

I still suspect Traveler is interfering with my settings, but at least I have more faith that UDS is actually managing the settings on my device now.  It gives me hope.  :-)